+ Reply to Thread

Question rent. cannot replace carpet. am allergic. any floor safe to put on top of carpet?

I rent and do not own a home. I hate carpet and am allergic to it and cannot afford to rent hardwood floors in my area.

I cannot afford and/or am not allowed to replace carpet.

Is there a way to cover the carpet with something that will be safe on top of the carpet (cannot glue and damage it) and that will leave the carpet in somewhat good shape for when I move out?

I thought about vinyl, but it does not seem stable and as the edges cannot be glued to the carpet it ends up a safety tripping hazard.

Thank you so much for any ideas!

Default Re: rent. cannot replace carpet. am allergic. any floor safe to put on top of carpet?

You might look at Ikea's laminate flooring. It's not recommended for "thick" carpeting but @ $2.25 a square foot it's fairly cheap and might do the trick.
    You're in a tough spot I hate to say it but you should probably look for another apartment. I don't know for sure but it would seem to me that if your aparment is making you sick you should be able to get out of your lease or force the landlord to fix things.

Another Idea. Pull up the carpet and just don't expect to get your damage deposit back.

Default Re: rent. cannot replace carpet. am allergic. any floor safe to put on top of carpet?

Better yet, clean the carpet, pull it out, then when you move have it reinstalled. Of course, you have to have a place to store it, but the cost would probably be less than $1000 total.

The floor under the carpet could be painted to make it more attractive as well as seal in any odors, stains, or roughness.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!