+ Reply to Thread

Question Motion sensor electric bathroom heater - possible?

Hi All,

Not to sure where to post this question - bathroom?? heating?? -but stuck with electrical, soo..

I would like to install a electric bathroom heater that is connected to a motion timer, so that it would turn on upon entry and stay on for a set amount of time.

Obviously, this is cost / green saving issue.

Is this possible? Considering it is the bathroom.. Also can anyone suggest any possible products?

Thanks!

Default Re: Motion sensor electric bathroom heater - possible?

While most motion detectors can not handle the current requirements of an electric heater, you could use it to trigger a one-shot relay that would pull up when the detector sense motion and stay up for a set time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by gessabean View Post
    Hi All,

Not to sure where to post this question - bathroom?? heating?? -but stuck with electrical, soo..

I would like to install a electric bathroom heater that is connected to a motion timer, so that it would turn on upon entry and stay on for a set amount of time.

Is this possible? Considering it is the bathroom.. Also can anyone suggest any possible products?

Thanks!
    Not being a smart @#$, but I would run to the patent office with that one. Those February days of -10 would be a thing of the past......

maybe put the motion sensor down the hall so it sees you coming and warms the floor before you get there
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    maybe put the motion sensor down the hall so it sees you coming and warms the floor before you get there
    Now we are talking !!!! I can see those lazy hazy days of summer and living off of the patent royalty checks as I type...

Perhaps you can use a timer instead? I know the only time I'd need a heater in the bathroom is in the morning. And I take a shower everyday at the same time; before I go to work. Or you can do the cheap way and get a space heater, that's what I do, hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by gessabean View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    Personally I don't see any advantage.
    You would asking the heat to ramp up for a short period of time.
    Imagine if someone dashed in and out quickly to get a tissue,the heat would turn on while none was in the bathroom. There goes your "green" savings.
    Last edited by LeonardHomes; 05-29-2010 at 05:55 PM.

I think it is an excellent idea, but only with infrared heat where the effect is instantaneous. I might mention that Toto makes electrically heated toilet seats if that will help. http://www.totousa.com/Neorest/Neorest600.aspx

Someday I will own one.
    "Lead by Example"