+ Reply to Thread

Question Can I remove an interior chimney

We recently had our house roof redone, and the roofer said that we should take down an old chimney that wasn't in use that came up through the house and out the middle of the roof. We agreed, and the chimney was torn down to below the roof, so that it's now sticking up in the middle of the attic. Where it comes down through the rooms, it is plastered over to match the walls. The house was built in 1890. My question is, can we tear down the rest of the chimney to eliminate the obnoxious square in two rooms, or is the chimney part of the support system of the house?

p.s. I can post pictures if that would help.

Default Re: Can I remove an interior chimney

Yes, you can tear it down. You will need to start at the top and work your way down..
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Of course you can if it is not suit to your interior.
    fusion

We have one exactly like this. I think it is capped in the attic due to a chimney fire (everyone I meet from the fire co. STILL talks about it- geez!).

Is there a way to scope it, or something, to see if this is the case? And to see if it is fixable/re-usable?

It is best to leave that to a pro. You can check lists for chimney sweeps or chimney restoration companies.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb