+ Reply to Thread

Default Chemical Free Paints

I've developed allergies and asthma related to too much chemical exposure. Has anyone tried paints with no VOC's, etc. And what brand did you find useful. Thanks.

Default Re: Chemical Free Paints

Good post because this is main problem .
    Well i think you should use weather sheet paint it may not smell and you can wash as well.

cheers

Smile Re: Chemical Free Paints

My husband has the same problem after years of warehouse work. There's several brands with LOW VOC. One I use that's NO VOC is Olympia @ $25.00 gal and my favorite primer/cover is Zinnser123. Dutch-Boy and Sherwin Williams are available in NO VOC. Ace Hardware carries excellent paint with helpful clerks. All the above are also Low Odor. Try not to use oil-based paint since you have to use turpentine to clean the brushes.

You may want to look at this product.
    KEIM Interior Coatings it is a Mineral paint.
    NO CHEMICAL RESIDUES.
    www.keim.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mary T. View Post
    I've developed allergies and asthma related to too much chemical exposure. Has anyone tried paints with no VOC's, etc. And what brand did you find useful. Thanks.
    Mythic Paint! And I say again MYTHIC PAINT! It's fantastic and, to the best of my knowledge completely safe for you and your pets. It is more costly but I believe it is definitely worth it. The paint goes on fantastic, but I suggest that if you haven't painted in awhile (in my case I was painting an interior that hadn't been painted in a few decades) go with the Black Label brand. It has primer in it already, and it has great coverage (and I was using it on textured walls). I hope this helps. It's a great, great product.
    But I wouldn't buy it over the internet, find a retailer and go there in person. I believe some Ace Hardware's carry it. The color difference from the website to real life is substantial.

On a side note is absolutely ridiculous that I can't post links to the Mythic Pain website in the text of my message just because I'm new! I am trying to be helpful. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by ka.two; 03-05-2013 at 06:04 PM.

NEWS FLASH! All paint has "chemicals" in it. So does water. (It's a chemical.) And air. And certified organic green beans.

Sorry, that's just the ornery scientist in me talking. By definition, all substances are chemicals.

You've resurrected an old post. The original poster may be long gone and never read your reply.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If you have a Benjamin Moore paint store in your area ?, they have some great organic paints available . The one you want is labeled ECOS organic paints. They're water based , solvent free paints & varnishes. Low VOC & No VOC marked paint cans still contain some toxic chemicals . These products may still bother your allergis even when told they won't..

I hope this helps you in some way
    I work for Hidden Content