+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing layers of wallpaper and paint from plaster walls

The walls in my kitchen are solid plaster and covered with layers of paint and wallpaper. The house was built in the 20's so some of the paint is probably lead paint or oil-based paint. There is a sizeable section where everything is peeled away down to the bare plaster. Do I need to try and strip the rest, or should I try and build up the stripped areas? And if I should strip it, how do I do that?

Default Re: Removing layers of wallpaper and paint from plaster walls

Wallpapers I would try to remove, paint I would leave alone if it's securely intact. The void area can be feathered with drywall topping compound to remove any hard lines from peeled paint. If you get into removing paint, it will likely have lead in it which will create a host of other issues if disturbed. Encapsulation - covering with paint - is a perfectly acceptable method of dealing with lead.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Removing layers of wallpaper and paint from plaster walls

To remove the paper, rent a wall paper steamer at a tool rental. You should also pick up a tool to score the paper and paint. You can pick one up at most paint and paper stores or hardware stores.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb