+ Reply to Thread

Question Planting a new tree where one was removed

I have a large silver maple tree in my front yard that I'm thinking of having removed. It is about 3 feet in diameter. After the stump is ground, can I plant a new seedling where the old tree was, or do I need to wait for the stump to rot. How long?

Default Re: Planting a new tree where one was removed

You can replant if you remove the stump grindings and replace with topsoil. The soil will settle a lot, so it would be good idea to let it settle first. Select something other than a silver maple. I don't know how yours was, but they tend to be breakage prone, have lots of surface roots and like to seek out sewer lines.

Yes, you can replant in the same spot, though as Ed says, you need to change out the stump grindings for soil. If you compact the soil as you backfill the hole, and soak it down really good a couple times, this will settle the area out in short order to be ready for planting.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for your replies. I will definitely plant something other than a silver maple. Not only does my city not allow silver maples to be planted, but it drops a lot of bark and twigs, and isn't a great looking tree. I'm thinking of a sugar maple.

Sugar maple is not a good urban tree either. They grow too large and have invasive roots.,I'd avoid red maples for similar reasons too. Stay away from bradford pear, poplar.
    Check with city for recommended trees.
    Last edited by ed21; 05-24-2010 at 11:17 AM.