+ Reply to Thread

Default Baseboard Heat Expansion Joint Leaking

I have expansion joints AKA (Full Expansion Coupling) in my basebaord heating system (Base Ray Cast Iron Baseboards) where the baseboard heaters transition to 3/4" copper in a closet between bedrooms. One of the expansion joints has a little bit of green crud near the fitting and it is leaking small amounts of water. Can I disassembly this fitting and repack it or replace a washer, or do I need to replace the expansion joint? SEE SAMPLE STOCK PHOTOS. If replacement required, are these readily available. I am in southern NJ area.
    Thanks, Stephen

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expansion Joint.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	1885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burnham Baseray Photo.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	1886  
    Last edited by shoagie; 12-06-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Baseboard Heat Expansion Joint Leaking

Stephen:

I would bring a copy of the photo of the valve around to your local heating parts stores---they should have a replacement, and possibly just the replacement washers.

Consult the Yellow Pages under "Heating Equipment- Parts & Supplies".

If you have trouble finding this item, the Slant/Fin site below also shows flex tubing that can also be used for this application.

A third possibility would be to remove the offending coupling & solder a short length of copper tubing at right angles using ordinary 90 degree elbows.

This would also allow the piping to flex slightly when heat expansion occurs.

http://www.slantfin.com/documents/215.pdf
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-08-2008 at 11:41 PM.