+ Reply to Thread

Default Pushmower w/blade brake clutch?

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that produces a non-self-propelled lawnmower with a blade brake clutch (BBC)? I have only been able to find the BBC option on self-propelled models. (I have a 25-year-old Lawn-Boy 2-cycle w/a BBC that is push-only, but it has now died.)

Default Re: Pushmower w/blade brake clutch?

I believe that all mowers today have a blade brake. You have to hold the release lever to start and operate the mower, let go of the lever and the motor is immediately shut down and blade stopped.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Pushmower w/blade brake clutch?

No, I am not referring to a flywheel brake, which is a standard feature on most - but not all - walk-behind mowers. A flywheel brake stops the mower blades within 3 seconds after the operator releases the dead man's lever, which also stops the engine.

A blade brake clutch instead disengages the mower blades while allowing the engine to continue running.

I just cannot find the blade brake clutch feature on a mower that is not also self-propelled.