+ Reply to Thread

Default Bees in Olive Tree

We've had a hive of bees move into a very old olive tree in our front yard. Fortunately the bees are not Africanized, but they are in an inconvinent location. I also understand that bees have had problems with hive colapse, so I really don't want to do them any harm.

They don't seem to be aggressive (I happen to be allergic to bees so I have concerns but they seem fairly passive), but I am concerned what our liability would be if someone was stung that was allergic......claim on our homeowner's insurance??

So after talking to pest control company's they can only kill the bees but can't deal with the hive removal from the tree ao it is likely that another hive will move back in and they may not be so mild. So is there some way we can get these bees to just move out of the tree? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Bees in Olive Tree

If they're honey bees, contact a bee keeper, they have the ability to relocate the bees into a hive and remove them from the tree.

Once the bees are out, plug the hole in the tree, contact an arborist for the proper procedure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with Spruce. Bees are an absolute necessity and are fast disappearing. Rather than exterminating contact a bee keeper or your county extension service for a list of bee keepers and have them moved.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hi, All:

I am a beekeeper -- finally something I am expert at to lend my two cents!

I would first confirm that they are actually honey bees and not hornets or wasps. Things to look for: Are they living inside a cavity in the tree, or building a paper-like nest on the exterior of the tree? If in a cavity, can you shine a flashlight in to see if there is wax comb-building activity? If you move slowly and don't really mess around too much, you should be able to look into the cavity with little or no chance of getting stung. If the nest is on the exterior and the weather is warm where you live, if you see comb, they are most likely honey bees. If you see a paper-like nest, they are not.

If confirmed they are honey bees, you can call your state dept of agriculture. Here this is the dept that maintains a list of beekeepers in your area that will get rid of swarms and other nuisance honey bees -- usually for free! Beekeepers get free bees (now around $100 per package for us to buy!), the homeowner gets rid of their problem, and the bees get to live. You might also check with your town office, as they may keep a list also (annimal control officer, police station, etc). Or just look at a farmers market for someone selling honey and usually the lable will give you the name of a local beekeeper.

As noted earlier, bees in this country are in dire straights and beekeepers are dwindling. Any we can save, especially those that have been able to live in the wild, are important. Please do all you can to try to find someone to relocate if honey bees.

Thanks, Tim