+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation with Asbestos and removal

We recently discovered we have a small percentage of Asbestos in our blown in attic insulation. Does anyone know the cost of removal? Or what is the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks

Default Re: Insulation with Asbestos and removal

Quote Originally Posted by cjfarmer View Post
    We recently discovered we have a small percentage of Asbestos in our blown in attic insulation. Does anyone know the cost of removal? Or what is the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks
    Cost of asbestos abatement can be enormous. If undisturbed, it should not be a problem. The only insulation I know of having the possibility of asbestos is vermiculite. Asbestos was discovered in one vermiculite mine, but there was no way to track where the vermiculite mined there ended up. Our agency insulates homes under the Ohio standards by laying poly under the attic access, partitioning off the area while working, suiting up to protect ourselves, dampening the existing vermiculite down, sealing bypasses, and blowing cellulose over it. Basically many of the same procedures for lead safe work. If undisturbed and sealed off from the living space, any asbestos will not get airborne and create a health problem.

Default Re: Insulation with Asbestos and removal

Thank you for your reply. We discovered it when we had to make a repair in our ceiling. We got it tested and that is why we know. We have been told like you said, do not disturb it and all should be well. So, if we go to sell, what would be our legal obligation? I assume we would have to disclose the problem. Thanks and for now we will let it lay. Have a good day