+ Reply to Thread

Default installing hardwood in room with a bay

Our new house has a single bay and needs to have the floors installed. We intend to put in hardwood floors but need a good reference for how to do the installation around the area of the bay. Any websites, ****** videos, or books would be great.

Thanks.

Default Re: installing hardwood in room with a bay

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question. Why would the bay need to be treated any differently than the rest of the floor? When installing a wood floor, you leave a gap between the flooring and the walls for expansion and contraction. The bay would be treated the same as everywhere else, a gap left at the wall, angles cut to meet the needs of the walls (or cabinets, doorways, etc. ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

At that end of the room, the floor is rounded. Or curved. So, we would like some guidance on strategies on to cut the wood so that it rounds with the wall. Since the room is not square, we need to figure out what is the best way to lay down the floor so that the flooring matches the curve of the room.

You will "dry fit" the pieces before installing them.

I will assume that you're using a tongue and groove type flooring. When dry fitting this type of floor, you lay the groove over the tongue, you don't interlock them. As for fitting the piece, you'll have to scribe it to fit, the means of scribing will depend on just how rounded the space is that you're trying to match. Can you offer a few more details of the walls and floor, such as the depth of the arc of the wall?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It's not a super deep bay. If I remember correctly (I don't have my notes in front of me) it should be about 1.5-2 feet deep.

We intend to lay the wood so that it "points" towards the bay. So one end of each plank points toward the window.

The first thing you will need to do is establish a straight line for the first row of flooring, do not depend on the wall being straight. Lay your flooring until you come the the edge of the bay, the place anothe piece of flooring against it but don't nail or extend it into the bay. You are useing it as a temporary spcacer.Now lay your nect piece of flooring against the spacer and slid down until it touches the wall in the bay. Take a protractor and adjust it to the width of the flooring plus the expansion clearance. Hold the protractor so the metal pin is against the wall and the pencil end is on the flooring and so the protracor is perpendicualr to the flooring follow the wall and mark you piece of flooring and cut with a jig saw. This will provide you with the necessary curve and straight cut if you need to go around the corner. Remove the spacer piece and install the cut piece. From there on until the last piece you will only be cutting the end of the flooring. Place the next pieces down and slid to the wall, adjust your protrator to the distance rom the wall to the end of the flooring farthest from the wall and scrib the end and cut. The last piece you will lay on top of the next to last piece, slid down untill the back corner touches the wall and scribe tha back side like you did the first, cut and install.

Hope that helps.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-06-2008 at 12:12 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

This is very helpful. Thank you.