+ Reply to Thread

Default thompsons waterproof latex stain questions

The deck i'm going to stain has had various coats of thompsons solid waterbased stain with waterproofing in it. The color that was used previous is no longer available.
    i put on some samples of olympic solid stain (waterbase) for color and it beads up or separates. Some areas where its weathered more takes. The areas where the waterproofing is still there wont take. What product can i use to prep it so it will adhere, or do you know of a name brand solid stain that will work? I will be powerwashing it as well. Thanks Rich

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Default Re: thompsons waterproof latex stain questions

I have never liked Thompson stains specifically because they are loaded with silicons which not only repell water, but any future coats of stain. Similarly, I never used to reccommend the former formulation of Behr 500 series stains - too much silicon. Fortunately, Behr reformulated this stain early last year.It had to be stripped everytime before new stain was applied. Who wants to do that every few years!

The Behr deck stripper will remove your old finish and should remove enough of the silicon to allow good adhesion of new stain.
    Worse case scenario, you might have to do some additional sanding to totally remove the silicon.

After the Behr stripper removes the finish, it must be neutralized with Behr 2 in 1 deck cleaner. This is basically oxylic acid which will also return the original color of the wood.

You can either use semi-transparent or solid hide stain. The solid hide will give better overall protection and is easier to touch up than the semi-transparent.