+ Reply to Thread

Default Building a shed...

I'm getting ready to embark on a shed-building project... My intention is to build a 10'x10' from a kit. My concern is that I'm undecided on the best way to support the structure.

My preference would be to use pressure-treated 4x4 skids on the bottom of the deck and set the skids on piers of concrete blocks supported by a bed a of compacted limestone, but I'm not sure if this will be sufficient, nor I'm sure about the depth of the limestone bed or the types of blocks to use.

The shed will used for storage (push mower, weed eater, various small yard implements and boxed household items).

Can anyone offer any advise on the best way to support the structure? Obviously, this is a first step in the project, so I need to figure this out before I can get started.

Thanks!
    -Cameron Lashley

Default Re: Building a shed...

While frost depth is generally not a problem in Ga. you will want to dig down to clay below any organic material for your compacted limestone. Personally I would use PT 6X6 for the skids set on leveled concrete blocks at each end and in the middle.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    While frost depth is generally not a problem in Ga. you will want to dig down to clay below any organic material for your compacted limestone. Personally I would use PT 6X6 for the skids set on leveled concrete blocks at each end and in the middle.
    Jack
    Thanks! How thick should the compacted limestone be?
    -Cameron Lashley

At least 8" wide and as deep as the trench you dig. If you put in a full pad of stone you wouldn't even need the blocks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

My limited experience which worked well. In the process of leveling out the area I took about 6"-8" of the topsoil away and then laid down heavy plastic (can't remember the mil thickness) then covered the whole area of the shed with 8" of stone. I compacted it by driving on it with a front end loader. I didn't use blocks.

6" PT rather than 4" is what I would also recommend for the runners.