+ Reply to Thread

Default I-joist electrical wiring

Hi

I just had a ceiling put in my garage using I-Joists 11 7/8". I can find plenty of information for running wires perpendicular to the I-Joist BUT can not find anything about installing ceiling elect boxes, running wires parallel to I-Joist and mounting Garage door opener.

Hear are my questions:
    1) Can a electrical box just be screwed to the side of the bottom I-Joist flange ?

2) When running wire parellel to I-Joist can wire staples be used in the top an bottom flange ?

3) How does the garage door hardware get mounted. I would thing a lag bolt would be to much for the bottom flange. Should blocking be put between the I-Joist and the Lag bolts be put in it ?

Thank You in advance
    albanello

Default Re: I-joist electrical wiring

#1 as long as the electrical box has hangers or straps attached to the box to provide a means of attachment, you can. Boxes can not be screwed into place, say by using drywall screws as a fastener inside the box. A possible exposed head could nic a cable. Arlington Industries does make a box that will bypass that sticking point though. But might be hard to find. More often than not I will use metal boxes for the durability factor.
    #2 Attaching Romex staples in the OSB part of an I-beam is a royal pain. I use PVC straps and rather small screws for that task.
    #3 Blocking will help with the hardware, for sure. Think about the possibility of using angle iron as well. Pre-drill for lagging will help prevent splitting as well.
    Good luck.

Thanks for your response

1) The boxes I have have straps. I was going to predrill 4 holes in the side of the bottom flang then use 4 drywall screws.

2) I was NOT going to staple the Romex to the OSB part of the I-Joist. I was going to staple the Romex to the side of the top flang. There Is NO living area above the garage so they will not get nicked by a floor instalation, since there is no floor.

3) I was thinking about three 2x4's one on top of the bottom flang screwed to the flang. One between the flang and screwed to the top 2x4. One on the bottom of the flang and screwed to the second 2x4. The Garage door lag bolts will be predrilled into these three 2x4s.

Will these solutions work? Do you see a problem with any of them.

Thanks in advance.

albanello

#1 Those boxes will work great...
    #2 In that instance your Romex attachment method should work well. I can not think of any NEC violations that would prevent you from doing so. Maybe one concern though. No living space above the I-beam, but would a roof happen to be above the area in question? If so would the roof be nailed or screwed to the I-beam?
    #3 2x4 blocking should work fine as well.
    Good luck with the project...

#2 There is no roof attached to the top flang. The I-Joist were put up to provide a nailing surface for a flat drywall ceiling in the garage. Originally there were only three rafter tie holding the roof togeather. I'm not sure what you would call the roof structure (A frame) maybe. There would be a very shallow attic above the I-Joists.

Thanks for your help

albanello

Quote Originally Posted by albanello View Post
    #2 There is no roof attached to the top flang. The I-Joist were put up to provide a nailing surface for a flat drywall ceiling in the garage. Originally there were only three rafter tie holding the roof togeather. I'm not sure what you would call the roof structure (A frame) maybe. There would be a very shallow attic above the I-Joists.

Thanks for your help

albanello
    Well then it sounds like you have all your bases covered. Good luck with the project.