+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GFI Problem

Hybrid View

Default GFI Problem

Today, I plugged in a space heater into my upstairs bathroom outlet. Shortly after, it tripped the GFI outlet, which is in the downstairs bathroom. I unplugged the heater and went dowstairs to reset the GFI. After a couple or resets, it finally took. However, only the GFI outlet in the dowstairs bathroom has power now. The outlets in the two bathrooms upstairs (on the same circuit) do not have power. I have unplugged everything, and reset the GFI outlet several more times, but there is still no power to the upstairs outlets. I even tried turning off and on the main circuit breaker to no avail. I have lived in this condo since 1995, and have tripped this GFI several times, but I have never run across this problem. Any ideas???

Default Re: GFI Problem

Jack, In what you described your GFI has tripped for the last time. I suggest you replace it with a new one. when replacing the GFI Take care to mark the wires as to what terminal the belong on. There is a line and load marked on the GFI outlet take care and make sure you have the wires on the correct screws. Line is the hot set of wires and load is what wires feed the other outlets that at this time are not working. Good luck
    Harry

Default Re: GFI Problem

I was sort of thinking that may be what happened, but I wasn't sure because the GFI outlet itself still had power. Thank you so much for the quick response.