During the past 3 or 4 months I have a couple of outlets that stopped working. I mapped the circuit breaker box and found the switch that tripped. It was barely loose. I had to turn it on and off a couple of times to get it to work. Not a good sign right. I only found those two outlets on the circuit. I only had a toaster oven and the telephone plugged into them.
It tripped again a few days ago. Yesterday it tripped again. I checked my map went back out to the box and the switch wouldn't move then it moved and now it is floating. Also the blue plastic below the switch handle is broken.
Q1. How dangerous is it in this condition?
Q2. Is there an ****** source for finding a qualified electrician? I can't find my yellow pages book. Why do they still deliver them? I guess most of my neighbors don't have computers... I'm in sunny and dry Sacramento, CA.
Q3. It seems like this could be done in one billing hour. About how much should I expect it to cost? I'm on a very tight budget.
The house was built in 1950 and I bought it 7 years ago from a couple of kids, 20-ish, that were trying to get rich flipping it. In other words I have no idea what shortcuts they may have taken behind the walls. They did a crappy job and deserve the bankruptcy they ended up with.
I can build a computer and repair one but house wiring scares me unless I have very explicit instructions on how to check my work. I know enough not to touch the breaker box except to flip the switches.