+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which Paint is Better for Exterior???

Well I would recommend using spray paint on an exterior door. The quality of most spray paint is not up to the job. and when it wears around the handles, it will be difficult to repair. But I use Rustoleum spray all the time. Usually out back near the field behind our house, with cardboard underneath.
    Last edited by johnalbert; 06-22-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Hammerite is good
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

We tried Ben Exterior by Benjamin Moore and it streaked terribly. After trying both spraying and brushing, we finally had to switch to Porter which worked great. Our paint color is a dark grey, so our painter said it may have been the dark base that caused the problems, but it looked really bad on our cement siding!

Smile Re: Which Paint is Better for Exterior???

I've been painting for 28 years. Power wash home 1st. Oil prime all bare wood after prep & the first 3feet around the bottom.. Use a quality 100% latex paint on the body. Spray nice even coat. All trim 2 coats brush & roll. I prefer to only use a satin finish on all exteriors. You could use duracraft from Sherwin Williams or liquid vinyl from Kwal paint and pay less than others & get the same quality paint job.. Your home should be painted every 8-10 years regardless. All those real high priced paints that guarantee 12,15,20 years or even a lifetime paint I suggest everyone read the very fine print on there warranty .. It never pans out to what they tell you when purchased because most people are only in there home 8-10 years. I hope this helps
    I work for Hidden Content

I just finished painting a 2 story stucco house. I used 27 gallons of Behr stucco paint at a cost of $450. For the trim I used 5 gallons Behr wood stain.

I stay away from name brands (Edwards, Moore, Williams) because they are too expensive and don't deliver superior results.

Next week I will start painting a single story. I prefer rollers and brushes (they give me better control) over spray.

I live in the Caribbean, it is hot and humid most of the time, wind and rain are constant, and hurricane season can be brutal. My home is all concrete, and not close to water, so salty conditions are not an issue. Humidity does cause an exterior algae, mold, and mildew problem. On the interior we paint every 1-2 years, not because of deterioration, but to change colors; for those purposes I use PPG's Speedhide and/or Pure Performance, excellent results, good coverage, and won't fade. I once tried Lanco's (popular brand in Latin America) Speedhide's equivalent, but it was $18.00 lost, as it didn't cover as advertised, didn't dry evenly, and took too long to apply a second coating. I ended up buying 2 gallons for a room that previously had been painted with 1 gal. of PPG's Speedhide.

Because of "family tradition" I use PPG/Pittsburgh paints. My grandparents used PPG since the 50's, and never looked back. My parents were partial to Glidden, but through the years I have found that Glidden/ICI quality has gone down, maybe to compete favorably in the big box and national chains. The very best paint for our climate probably is BLP/Mobile Paints, due to it's strong industrial coatings heritage, but they are really, really, expensive. Some friends of mine have had very good results with Benjamin Moore, but it is as expensive as BLP. Though my neighbor's stepdad is sales mgr. for Sherwin-Williams, I have never used their paints, though I know they are good.

The first time I painted my current home's exterior I used PPG's Manor Hall, and it lasted some 6 yrs. of brutal climate conditions, it didn't fade much, and the reason to repaint was the excessive mildew, plus to change colors. When we repainted, we used Behr Premium Plus, because it was on-sale at Home Depot. The paint only lasted some 3-4 yrs. before mildew became a problem, and it faded more than what I would have wanted, also it peeled a little from a well prepped concrete wall, which never happened with PPG's Manor Hall.

For an office building of a friend of mine I recommended PPG, in the past he had used Lanco. Since it was a commercial job and bottom line was important he used PPG's Sunproof, the equivalent to SW's A-100. The painter loved the paint, said that the job went smoothly, and the colors looked true to the palette. I have to paint my home again, and most probably I will use PPG's Sunproof as I'm on a tight budget, and at around $16.00/gal. it is a great deal. If Manor Hall is around $20.00/gal., I might just use it again. Prices are not retail, as I flip houses, and get contractor's pricing. If you have never used a PPG product, try a gallon, or paint a small area, might (or might not) be a more economic and better quality alternative to what you are using.
    Last edited by Guangui; 08-23-2013 at 08:25 PM.

I agree. I've used Lowe's Olympic (satin) paint on 4 mobile homes (wood siding) about 3 to 4 years ago that I have recently went to check up on and the paint is still holding up. There is minimal fading and no chalking compared to Frazee's Duratec 100% arcrylic flat which has a subtle sheen. I painted the exterior of my sister's home about the same amount of time and it has faded and chalked. Speaking from personal experience, if you buy this product, you are just buying the name. I know cause I use to work there years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by barpaintingidaho View Post
    I've been painting for 28 years. Power wash home 1st. Oil prime all bare wood after prep & the first 3feet around the bottom.. Use a quality 100% latex paint on the body. Spray nice even coat. All trim 2 coats brush & roll. I prefer to only use a satin finish on all exteriors. You could use duracraft from Sherwin Williams or liquid vinyl from Kwal paint and pay less than others & get the same quality paint job.. Your home should be painted every 8-10 years regardless. All those real high priced paints that guarantee 12,15,20 years or even a lifetime paint I suggest everyone read the very fine print on there warranty .. It never pans out to what they tell you when purchased because most people are only in there home 8-10 years. I hope this helps

I couldn't agree with you more, stay away from the Name Brands.. I use to work at Frazee years ago and when you buy there, you are just buying the name. I use to say to the contractors that came in the store that it was good quality just to get the sale. And I must admit that I was very good at my job.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I just finished painting a 2 story stucco house. I used 27 gallons of Behr stucco paint at a cost of $450. For the trim I used 5 gallons Behr wood stain.

I stay away from name brands (Edwards, Moore, Williams) because they are too expensive and don't deliver superior results.

Next week I will start painting a single story. I prefer rollers and brushes (they give me better control) over spray.

This is a very old thread. Most people who previously posted may not log in here anymore so may not see responses.

That said, don't overlook regional and local paint manufacturers. They typically formulate the paint for the specific climate of their areas, and often sell a durable product at competitive prices.

The higher-quality national brands are expensive partly because they are formulated to hold up to all possible weather extremes. Lesser-quality national brands will not be as durable in extreme climates.

Since the regional manufacturers make for the local climate, the paint will often be just as durable as the national brands at a lower price because they don't have to formulate for unlikely weather. Why buy a paint that's good for 30-below ice storms if yo live in the desert? Why buy a paint that withstands days and days of 110 degree heat if you live in Maine?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Exactly, fencepost.

Years ago, we had a paint store chain called Standard Brands. They had their own brand, just as good as national brands, for a fraction of the cost. How about 5 gal exterior semi gloss with 15 year warranty for $20?

Well the box stores came in and forced SB out of biz, and now 5 gal exterior semi gloss is over $100, while at the national brand stores, a gallon goes for $75.

Those were the days.