+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Heat Pipes??

Hi!

We just yesterday purchased our very first home! YAY!! In the living room and dining room we have silver metal pipes that run from floor to ceiling that bring heat from the basement to the 2nd floor.

They seem to be a fairly thin metal? They're silver colored (not painted) with a little bit of rust on them. We have 2 in each room.

I'd like to paint them so they blend in a little better. Any suggestions for how to do this?

Thank you!!

Default Re: Painting Heat Pipes??

You have two options. You could go to an auto supply store and ask about their spray paints that are designed for very high temperatures, like exhaust systems etc. They may have a color that would be OK with your decor.

Failing that, you could always use a little wood and drywall or just plain wood, and box around the pipes. Then you could paint it any color that you'd like. I'd keep the wood a little way aways from the pipes so you don't get a heat problem with the wood. You may want to consider having some venting area on the box too. Maybe on the back side where it faces the wall. Let the heat out or your paint may have a problem with the heat build up.

Good Luck.

It sounds like your are describing galvanized metal duct work. If it is you will need to acid wash it before painting. You can use vinegar for the acid wash. Prime and paint. You will not need high temp paint for this.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It sounds like your are describing galvanized metal duct work. If it is you will need to acid wash it before painting. You can use vinegar for the acid wash. Prime and paint. You will not need high temp paint for this.
    Jack
    that's exactly what it is.....galvanized round metal pipes that go floor to ceiling. we have 2 in the living room, 2 in the dining room and 1 in the kitchen. Shiny silver...with a little rust at the joints.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was a really old house with steam heat. I was thinking of steam pipes which I've seen in them.

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was a really old house with steam heat. I was thinking of steam pipes which I've seen in them.
    No problem! This is our first house and don't always use the right terms to describe things!!!!

ggggggggoooooooddddd ggggggggggooooooooddddddddddd