+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Christmas

Arrow Green Christmas

I have a lot of left over decorations from years past and just wondering what others do with old decorations (tinsel, icicles, ornaments, etc) besides throwing them out.

Last year, I took some of the wrapping paper from opened gifts and used it for decoupaging some shoe boxes, which I then used as gift boxes.

Any other ideas out there?

NOVA Pros

Arrow Re: Green Christmas

I have also received an idea from a blogger that I can take my old tree skirts and make pillow covers out of them. That was a great idea, so I just wanted to share.

NOVA Pros

Default Re: Green Christmas

All of our ornaments, lighting, and decorations are reusable and have adorned our abode for years. The #1 thing is to buy quality decorations that will last. If you need temporary/party decor, purchase recyclable materials, then recycle them when finished.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 697295 View Post
    I have also received an idea from a blogger that I can take my old tree skirts and make pillow covers out of them. That was a great idea, so I just wanted to share.

NOVA Pros
    really OLD tree skirts can have asbestos and/or spun insulation and may have lead in/on their decorating features (have come across lead on paint, in plastic adornments, metalized sparklies (like sequins and glitter) and metal wrapped thread that was embroidered on them!). newer tree skirts are loaded with fire retardant chemicals and/or can be made with fiberglass fabric. and with all the kids toys, jewerly, candles, xmas decorations that are caught and recalled every year - there are tons of stuff that NEVER gets caught or recalled today that contains lead, etc. they still use that carcinogen on small carpets/rugs, tree skirts, and infant sleepware required by fed. gov. i wouldn't recommend making PILLOWS out of recycled christmas tree skirts old or new.

newer used icecycles make gift bag stuffing material instead of buying the stuff from the wrapping department. old tinsel in shorter lengths can be used to decorate wreaths and centerpieces, or whipping up small attractive package adornments instead of just using bows and ribbon you can use bits of tinsel, ornaments, etc. most of the OLDER ornaments are LOADED with LEAD at least encapsulate them somehow or at least be aware of the likelyness - paint, glitter, and the old plastics they used lead to make them opaque, also most wouldn't meet a modern flamability test so be cautious.

drying out old pine cones and using them natural or painting them also we use the "gum balls" from gum trees dry them out make a tie in hook loop with thread then paint them. might just be a "virginia thing".
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-02-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Did you say recycle pine cones?

This one is 36" in diameter.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Arrow Re: Green Christmas

Thank you Blue Ridge for letting me know about the tree skirts. I didn't even think about those facts (asbestos and fire retardants). I will definitely not use for pillow coverings.

And I never thought about the icicles being used for stuffing in packages. That is a great idea. I will use my this year for stuffing packages throughout the year.

The pine cone wreath is a very nice decoration.

NOVA Pros