+ Reply to Thread

Default Antique hole patch HELP

Hi. Please HELP!! My gf got a real fancy antique chest of drawer to convert into a wet bar for her condo living-room, but.... I made a 4" diameter hole on the wrong side of the chest.... OUCH - to say the very least !! - I GOTTA patch it up. I raided all the trash of the condo but couldn't find the missing piece of wood. How can I patch up the hole invisibly? I made the cut on the right side of the chest already (for water pipes)but lost that piece of wood too. Should I make a third hole in the back of the chest and try to patch the first hole with that? What glue should I use? I forget to mention I dropped the porcelain sink to go on top of the chest and it broke. I glued it back together and she didn't mind, but I want her bar to look really nice. Thanks buddies for any great suggestion. ArGino

Default Re: Antique hole patch HELP

Quote Originally Posted by gmelbac View Post
    I made a 4" diameter hole on the wrong side of the chest
    I dropped the porcelain sink to go on top of the chest and it broke. I glued it back together
    but I want her bar to look really nice.
    I think that ship has sailed ...

You'd be better off starting over with a new cabinet and sink. In lieu of that, I would likely cut a panel to fit over the entire side of the cabinet to hide the hole, then try to recreate the antique finish. The sink I'd just replace, you don't want it leaking, nor do you want your glue job to fail at the most inopportune moment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was able to locate the exact same sink at a discount! So we're good with that for now. As far as the hole is concerned, we found the piece of wood from the right side. It is just bit smaller and different in shape, but it should work. My question is, what type of glue/paste should I use? There are a couple of gaps about 1/8" wide at most and both less than 1" long. The piece holds in the hole on its own, because it is long enough. Thanks guys for your suggestions!

If you think you can fill the gaps and make it look OK, I would cut a piece of thin plywood and tack and glue it on the inside to completely cover the hole. You can then use wood glue, I prefer Titebond III, and glue the patch to the side and the plywood.
    Jack

Oh and by the way be sure to watch the orientation of the grain so it matches better.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The gel epoxy from these folks would certainly do the trick: http://www.advancedrepair.com/archit...woodrepair.htm

S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Hey, thanks so much guys! Luckily the grain is pointing in the same direction!! I'll check into both the glue and the epoxy gel. A bit of a challenge to make the bar look perfect, but I'll do my best to make her happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I would cut a piece of thin plywood and tack and glue it on the inside to completely cover the hole.
    Jack
    And thanks for that very useful tip Jack.