Default Poplar Kitchen Cabinets

We are building a new home and went with a builder who we thought was more upper end. He is using Poplar Kitchen cabinets, mill work and solid doors throughout the house. Is poplar going to be a sturdy enough wood for use in a house. Also, how well does it stain.

Default Re: Poplar Kitchen Cabinets

Poplar is fine for any project in which pine could be used, and like pine, I would consider it a paint grade material, not stain grade.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Poplar is just slightly harder than white pine. It is and excellent paint grade wood and relatively stable. It can be beautifully stained and finished by a professional. It would not be my choice for cabinets that are subject to heavy use.

Poplar has a Janka hardness rating of 540, white pine 420, while red oak is 1290 and white oak is 1360. If you wish to compare woods check out http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 05-13-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

yeah, I'd say poplar is not too poplar as far as cabinets are concerned

Thanks for all of your input. Sounds like you all would stay away from poplar for cabinet use. Do you think it will be OK for the millwork and doors? Also, any idea of how much more it would be to go to maple?

It should be fine for the millwork and doors, though again, I'd paint them.

Maple is priced in the vicinity of oak, maybe a little more, if that is of any help. It's been quite a while since I've purchased a cabinet.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Currently hard maple is about twice the price of poplar per board foot, and soft maple is about a $1 more per board foot. A board foot in case you are unfamiliar with that term is an amount of wood that is 1 foot square by 1 inch thick. A 1x12 one foot long is a board foot as is a 1x6 two feet long. So if you go with maple cabinets are they going to be twice as much probably not. The carcass or case should be made of the same material (preferably plywood) so the only added expense would be for the face frames, doors, and draw fronts. Your best bet would be to seek the advice of a kitchen designer they could give you a much better idea of costs and the best use of your space.

Mike