+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Pressure Problems 911

Pease help! This is really a 911. I have a tenant waiting to move in and cannot because I cannot have the place approved because of water pressure in the tub and shower.

Water pressure is great everywhere else. When valves are checked water pressure is awesome; however, water looses pressure when it reaches the spout and shower. I have tried everything except opening up the wall and replacing the entire fixture.

Ist there a way to flush the where the tub spout meets the mixter? Is ther such as thing as the mixer valve being in upside down?

DESPERATE! PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: Pressure Problems 911

I am having the same problem. The pressure in the sink and toilet are fine. I replaced the shower head (shown in photo) and there was no improvement. I have attached a picture of the shower with both hot and cold on full blast - still only a trickle. I am having to go else where to shower!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faucet.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	1945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shower head.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	1946  

If the pressure if fine at all other fixtures, then it's likely debris inside the valves. Turn the water off at the main, disassemble the valve and clean it. Reassemble and test the pressure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks A. Spruce,
    As a new home ownwer, I have to ask this silly question: Are the valves in the knobs or the faucet? I will try it and see if it works.

The valve is where the handle is located. In your case, you've got separate hot/cold, so you'll have two valves to disassemble. Again, turn off the water main. Here is a rough guideline of what you'll need to do.

1. Remove the handle, there is a screw under a button in the center of the handle.
    2. There should be a large nut around the valve stem, remove that and the stem should come with it.
    3. Do both valves and the diverter to the shower head (remove the shower head too ).
    4. You'll probably see debris and be able to pick it out with a toothpick or other pointy tool.
    5. With help, have someone crack the water main back on then immediately off to flush any debris remnants out. Be prepared for water to come shooting out, don't be standing in the tub and have the curtain drawn to minimize splash.
    6. Inspect the washers on the end of the valve stems and replace if necessary
    7. Reassemble the valves
    8. Turn on water main slightly until you've checked your work for leaks and problems. Once all is ok, turn on water main fully.
    9. Operate the diverter to the shower head to flush out this pipe as well.
    10. Now, last thing, go through the house and remove the aerators from all the faucets and all of the shower heads, run water to clear the lines, then clean and reinstall the aerators and shower heads.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I may have misspoke, looks like you've got a single handled valve and a diverter valve. The single valve will be easier to disassemble, clean, rebuild if necessary, and put back together. Again, I would direct you to the manufacturer's website for specifics on your valve.

A. Spruce,
    Thank you so much for taking time to help me! I can't wait to try this - your directions are very clear and easy. Happy New Year!

You're welcome, please report back your findings.