+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Second story porch troubles

Help! I have a second story uncovered porch that is leaking. It is over the front door of our home and is 15 by 15 in size. When we rebuit the porch, our contractor (since fired) used new treated joists, plywood, backer board and then tiled with an outdoor tile. The porch began to leak almost immeadiatly. It has stained the ceiling below, is causing the new flashing to rust and has damaged the concrete of the porch below it. Do you have any idea what we need to do to correct this problem?

Default Re: Second story porch troubles

I have somewhat the same situation in my home. My leaks came into a closet though. I ended up getting some construction sealant and rubbing it into the grout, which had developed hairline cracks (just enough for water to get in). I also used an elastomeric sealant (rubberized caulk) around the edges. All this stuff comes in caulking tubes.

The leaks stopped, though the caulk in the joints doesn't look as good as just grout but it's dry now. I used masking tape on each side of the grout so that at least the lines would be straight and neat. I've re-done it a second time a year later just to be sure. A little work but now my closet is dry.

Good Luck.

You didn't mention that he put down any roofing membrane. Designing a porch deck is like building a roof plus you have to add the finishes. It has to drain and be flashed properly.
    I'm surprised to hear the flashing is rusting. Most people use aluminum or s.s. these days.
    It sounds like a renovation by a qualified contractor is in order.

Hello ed21,

Thank you for your kind reply. No, he did not use a rubberized membrane. The porch was flashed with aluminum but it is my understanding that treated lumber has salt in it. And since water was getting into the lumber,salts were leaching out and causing the rusting. It has also caused the concrete below this spot to flake off. Suggestions?

Annette

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Help! I have a second story uncovered porch that is leaking. It is over the front door of our home and is 15 by 15 in size. When we rebuit the porch, our contractor (since fired) used new treated joists, plywood, backer board and then tiled with an outdoor tile. The porch began to leak almost immeadiatly. It has stained the ceiling below, is causing the new flashing to rust and has damaged the concrete of the porch below it. Do you have any idea what we need to do to correct this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Hello ed21,

Thank you for your kind reply. No, he did not use a rubberized membrane. The porch was flashed with aluminum but it is my understanding that treated lumber has salt in it. And since water was getting into the lumber,salts were leaching out and causing the rusting. It has also caused the concrete below this spot to flake off. Suggestions?

Annette
    flashing with aluminum? interesting that this was used and endorsed by anyone especially with treated lumber and tile mortar or grout. was always taught you had to ISOLATE aluminum from mortar & cement and that caulk, mortar and grout was no substitute for correct flashing methods.

aluminum in contact with cement or mortar plus moisture and the aluminum fails fast. lots of the newer treated lumber can't be in contact with steel or aluminum because it makes them fail fasteners (nails, screws, bolts, hangers) can rust through immediately if you add moisture even certain galvanized fasteners have questionable stability and longevity with some of the newer treated lumbers with active copper treatments. not sure how the borax treated lumbers respond to tile mortar or grout but treated or not it is still wood and wood flexes and reacts with varying moisture conditions and temperature very differently then a tile field with mortar and grout - did you have any kind of membrane or isolation system?

i've never heard of using aluminum to flash a deck - copper, lead or stainless steel of the correct grade but not aluminum. tiling on plywood for exposed 2nd story deck uncovered in kansas seems even stranger its not like snow, ice storms, and seasonal shifts don't happen in Kansas.

i'd be worried about the integrity of the entire structure not knowing what materials were used, what type of treated lumber, which fasteners were used, if it has any strength at all or is subject to collapse - the weight and tile failure cosmetic issues and leaking issues aside the whole thing sounds worrysome without that information.

the other thing you said about backerboard - like that isn't waterproof and if you mean like you'd use INDOORS because most of those cement backerboards aren't supposed to be used outdoors.

more information maybe. when aluminum oxidizes its usually white if you're seeing rusty colored streaks that's usually steel which should have had zinc but might have not been the right type of treatment or has failed. which would then be looking at the screws, bolts, nails or maybe he used a metal mesh lath if he used a mud bed for the tile. anyway the whole thing sounds like a mess and if you're seeing rust and have water coming through i'd be totally concerned about the safety of the whole thing wouldn't trust it to support weight and want to get it checked out right away which might involve taking some of it (if not all of it) apart.