+ Reply to Thread

Default Latex paint is bubbling

Hi everyone,

Let me start off with saying I've read a lot of different posts about bubbling and I know it mostly is due to walls not being prepped or cleaned right. What I am looking for is advise on how to proceed in my predicament.

So I have a new, 24 yr old home. The room we are painting had a border, we used diff and sprayed it and removed it. A few days later, we used joint compound to fix the walls imperfections. The wall at several drywall joints had noticeable imperfections in the current paint job. It actually looks like the previous owner had the exact same problem I now face.

So we sand, and wipe and clean the walls, using only damp clothes. We then paint. The areas around the joints of the drywall bubble 5-15 mins after we put an eggshell latex up.

We paint around them, then at the end of the job, peeled them off and gave them a coating again. Yes I know that was too soon, but hindsight is 20/20.

Two days passed, the walls look good from far, but up close the joint have terrible cratering from where the paint was pulled off and reapplied. I knew it would. So we tried reapplying joint compound to them, and new areas bubble to areas. I also know this was probably too soon. In frustration, I ripped the latex off in areas that were again bubbling and reapplied the joint compound.

The bubbling is only in my layer of paint. When I pull it off I see the previous layer. I know it is not adhering correctly.

My question is what to do next? I have the walls painted and several areas with joint compound that needs to be sanded.

Do I need to use a bonding agent, then a oil based primer (both or just one)? Do I just try that on the drywall joint areas?

Thanks
    Cinosinu
    Last edited by cinosinu; 05-12-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Default Re: Latex paint is bubbling

Latex paint bubbling is an indication of moisture behind the paint. You may be rushing things and not allowing adequate time for the compound to dry completely. After the drywall dries completely you should apply a PVA primmer and let dry before painting.

If using ready made drywall compound, I personally wait a week before primming.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Do I finish the patching and sanding, then prime?

Yes, you prime after the patching and sanding is done just allow enough time for it to dry completely before primming.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How long do I need to wait on the latex before patching and sanding?