+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stump removal, replanting

Ya know .... having removed a fair number of stumps in my time using a myriad of tools and techniques including .... axes , chainsaws , reciprocating saws , drilling holes , hydraulic jacks , chain and truck , etc..
    I can say over the course of many years have done this without loss of life or limb and it's a lot of physical effort.

Can a chainsaw kick back and injure someone ... or .... a cable whip back and cut someone in half ... or burnout a transmission or clutch ? .... Sure it's possible.

However .... like everything .... depending on the person's skills , knowledge , techniques , and equipment used are determine factors in how safe anything is done.

If a person was foolish enough to wrap a clothesline cable around a stump and try pulling with their Honda CRV ..... then you can expect something disastrous to happen .... like the cable snapping causing serious damage or injury ... or dropping the transmission.

Geez ... you can very easily injure yourself by doing common things in a kitchen .... opening a tin can or slicing food for example.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by zipkruse View Post
    Sadly, we had to have a massive old oak tree taken out yesterday. It was the "tree swing" tree in our yard, and we had many old memories of swinging on our bench seat with the children. I'm generally not nostalgic, but this one kind of hurts.

Anyhow, I intend to try and dig at least some significant portion of this old giant out and try to replant a tree in its place or very nearby if I can. Any recommendations on that?

Are the rotting roots of the great beast going to negatively impact a new tree? Is there a chance that disease from the tree still exists there?
    Will the rotting render the soil unstable?
    What is the right season to plant an oak tree?
    If you feel the need to have this stump removed immediately ....In my opinion ..... I wouldn't bother recommending renting a stump grinder. For the little instructions ( hopefully you will remember ) , the hassle of renting one , the costs ..... open up your wallet pull out $100 to hire someone that knows what they're doing take care of it for you ..... guys shows up ..... unloads the massive machine ..... grinds the stump .... you pay him .... he loads the massive machine and drives off .......couple of hours it's done.

If you can be patient .... let the stump and roots die out for a year or longer and it will be much easier to remove yourself. There are ways of speeding up this process by drilling large deeps holes and filling them with roundup , "Stump Remover " , very high nitrogen fertilizers. Google removing stumps and you'll find all sorts of information on this.

As for whether or not to plant another oak tree in or around the same spot may depend on what may have been the problem with the old tree. If it had " Oak Wilt " it may be possible the new tree can be infected by the existing roots from the old tree. You might check with a tree nursery or arborist.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    using or suggesting that someone use a chainsaw anywhere near the nose, cutting to the earth and confined in a pit is maliciously dangerous advice, please don't do it or even consider it!
    To say Spruce's suggestion .... desires or wishes pain , injury , or distress to another .... is not the case .... of that I'm sure.

The constant use of this statement by this person is their own agenda of being malicious tying to discredit other people on the forum.
    Last edited by canuk; 12-06-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    To say Spruce's suggestion .... desires or wishes pain , injury , or distress to another .... is not the case .... of that I'm sure.

The constant use of this statement by this person is their own agenda of being malicious tying to discredit other people on the forum.
    I agree, offering different opinions is acceptable and expected on an open forum and it can be done without malicious comments or character assignations and any side.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

BTW, don't try to tell the original poster to go rent a stump grinder and try to pass this off as a "safe" means of removal. A piece of dangerous equipment is used to grind a stump, and in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing is equally dangerous as any advice offered by anyone else.
    You've only proven you cannot or will not read and comprehend.

I SAID:

the most logical choice when dealing with the stump of a massive mature tree is to use a stump grinder, you can rent one, or hire the work out. you don't pre-dig or undermine the stabiliy of the area around the stump beforehand, that actually makes the procedure more dangerous.
    Not only suggested a professional for stump grinding services but pointed out later in that post that it may actually be CHEAPER TO DO SO.

This bears repeating:

using or suggesting that someone use a chainsaw anywhere near the nose, cutting to the earth and confined in a pit is maliciously dangerous advice, please don't do it or even consider it!
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-07-2008 at 01:17 AM.

You've only proven you cannot or will not read and comprehend.
    Right back at ya Blue! You're the one choosing to focus on one of many implements and in your typical grand style have continued to hammer away at a dead equine about it.

As was said the first time, there are a myriad of tools and equipment that can be used to remove a stump. It is up to the user to choose what is right for them and then FOLLOW ALL RECOMMENDED SAFETY GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

all I can say is I am so glad to find out that chainsaws are so extremely dangerous in removing stumps. as in they have been used to do so by so many professionals out on the jobs for so many years.

chainsaws by nature are dangerous and must be always handled with caution and care. but in the hands of someone who knows safty procedures and has a working chain break, the chain saw is a very versitle tool

"How dangerous is a chainsaw?
    According to saw expert Carl Smith, "If you place your hands on a chain saw, you must keep in mind that it is like grabbing a hand grenade without a pin in it. It is very likely to go off in your face. From the moment that you take it out of storage to the time that it goes back to the same place, you can be hurt by either it, or by whatever you will be cutting."
    "The chain saw is the most dangerous hand tool that can be purchased on the open market. It requires no license and no training to own or operate it. An overall average of 40,000 injuries and deaths occur annually in the US. This figure is just the "reported" accidents given by hospitals willing or able to furnish the information. That figure does not include out-patient visits to the doctor."
    Remember:
    • Approximately 30 percent of all woods accidents in a year are typically the result of a chainsaw cut.
    • A chainsaw blade can move 45 mph at full throttle.
    • Almost all chainsaw accidents can be prevented. "

All chain saw safety instructions include -
    Before you begin working, clear your workspace to ensure that there are no loose twigs, stones or other debris that could get caught in your saw. Check to be sure there are no cords, ropes, or other things that could cause you to trip while handling your chain saw. Be sure that you have a secure and even footing at all times.

How big a hole would you have to dig to meet these safety requirements to cut the roots. For safe operation you also need enough room to use the saw without standing or kneeling directly behind the blade in case of kickback. With the chain moving at approximately 45 mph, if it encounters a stone you can have a deadly projectile. Chain breaks are helpful but are no guarantee against injury if you encounter kickback.Yes, chainsaws are extremely dangerous and even many professionals get injured and killed every year.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

and all the non professionals are the ones here giving the advice regarding chainsaws

I personally have been certified by the usfs who else here has

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    and all the non professionals are the ones here giving the advice regarding chainsaws

I personally have been certified by the usfs who else here has
    LOL certified ROAR! a permit or pass isn't a certified anything.

a "professional" what? TOO FUNNY. Professional ignorant opinionated bully! or is it a certified idiot?

a "professional" jackass? a certified jackass?

Now you claim to be "certified" by the USFS...SO FUNNY - a certified chainsaw wrangler? by the USFS? hmmm a certified tresspasser? a certified arsonist? a certified menance? Just what did YOU do to cause the USFS to press charges against you or resort to a civil action in the state court?

stop! my sides hurt from laughing so hard!