+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Castle Mine ???

Default Castle Mine ???

On the Andy Griffith Show this evening, Barney wanted to gussy up the cell to make it more dignified for “Gentleman Dan Caldwell”, a confidence man who was going to be held there for a few days. Barney, in his excitement to fix up the cell said something that sounded like, “We could ‘castle mine’ the ceiling.”

I’ve Googled “castle mine” but can’t find any information on this term. Did I simply severely mishear what Barney said or is there some arcane ceiling treatment that sounds something like “castle mine?”

Thank you.

Default Re: Castle Mine ???

Probably "Calcimine", it's a type of paint-like whitewash-that was used over uncured plaster.

Good answer stinkerbell and you're probably right (don't recall the old show episode) because it makes perfect sense. IIRC they also had a free-standing coal stove (maybe it was wood don't remember ever seeing it loaded) there at the Mayberry Sheriff's office they'd keep the coffee pot on it - so it makes even more sense that they would have calcimine paint on the ceiling (and have to re-do it regularly).

The word is CALCIMITE and it was used at the turn of the last century in lieu of plaster. Many old Victorian homes still have some but homeowners get to a point where the antique nature has a diminishing appeal and they just sheetrock the whole darn thing. It was apparently cheaper and plentiful, but unfortunately doesn't hold up. You will find yourself chasing cracks and repairing peeling paint forever!

Quote Originally Posted by NancyLee View Post
    The word is CALCIMITE and it was used at the turn of the last century in lieu of plaster. Many old Victorian homes still have some but homeowners get to a point where the antique nature has a diminishing appeal and they just sheetrock the whole darn thing. It was apparently cheaper and plentiful, but unfortunately doesn't hold up. You will find yourself chasing cracks and repairing peeling paint forever!
    No NancyLee the word IS Calcimine. Look it up.