+ Reply to Thread

Default Invasion of the VOLES

I need some profesional help. I have been invaded by Voles. I have tried the products that say it will make them leave. That did not work . I tried to set traps and I did catch a few but that got old. My plants are disappering one at a time. HELP!
    Marie Kap

Default Re: Invasion of the VOLES

I've been in the same situation as yourself and have to admit my yard was a very good environment for them. I had lots of neglected areas like a compost heap along with a pile of tree branches from past pruning which resulted in a good place for them.
    Taking steps on clearing up some of this along with some help from welcomed neighborhood cats ( mousers ) helped with reducing the numbers.

Here is some information that may help: http://www.voles.com/How_to_get_rid_of_Voles.htm

Good luck.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Cats have really kept the voles, mice, snakes, chipmunks, grasshoppers, etc. at bay in my Alabama yard. Adopt a needy cat - or a couple - people are always giving them away. The skinnier, wilder, and more feral looking the better! You'll be giving a home to a needy animal and solving your problem (non-chemically) at the same time. Be sure to get them fixed or you'll have a new problem..........
    Even if you don't like cats, if you keep them outside all you need to do is feed and water them (after they have been neutered)and provide shelter in the winter.
    I don't recommend this option if you have birdfeeders, though. Cats don't differentiate between the critters they kill.

Quote Originally Posted by krobinson View Post
    Cats have really kept the voles, mice, snakes, chipmunks, grasshoppers, etc. at bay in my Alabama yard. Adopt a needy cat - or a couple - people are always giving them away. The skinnier, wilder, and more feral looking the better! You'll be giving a home to a needy animal and solving your problem (non-chemically) at the same time. Be sure to get them fixed or you'll have a new problem..........
    Even if you don't like cats, if you keep them outside all you need to do is feed and water them (after they have been neutered)and provide shelter in the winter.
    I don't recommend this option if you have birdfeeders, though. Cats don't differentiate between the critters they kill.
    I have 12 barn cats and still have moles and ground squrriels. Most of my lawn is wide open territory.

I also have bird feeders and the birds are usually faster than the cats.

Smile Re: Invasion of the VOLES

This may be a primative solution, but it has been effective for me. For several days in a row, I go around my yard stomping on the Mole/Vole trails. They really don't like this kind of disturbance and eventually move out.