+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting over a drywall disaster

I had a closet that needed to be closed up, and I was new to drywall. I ended up using way too much compound, but was able to sand most of it so that it's smooth the touch and belnds pretty well with the rest of the walls. However, even after priming, you can still clearly see the 1 foot wide area that I put compound on. What can I do at this point to fix it before I paint the final coat? If I sand anymore, I think I'll be hitting the joint tape.

Default Re: Painting over a drywall disaster

It might be that you can see the area where the joint compound was applied because it is a different texture. Did you use a primer made especially for sealing new joint compound?

i did. i just put on way too much compound and dont know how to fix it

Believe it or not. I am having this same problem. We are going with textured paint and possibly spray. It happened on a ceiling patch. Hope this is helpful

Hi Picsaro,

You said that if you sand anymore you’ll be hitting the tape. So even though you put too much joint compound on it sounds like you sanded the excess off.

You can try a simple experiment to determine the problem. Get a piece of scrap drywall and put joint compound on part of it, let it dry, and sand it smooth like you did in your closet. Then prime it like you did your closet. See if you can see where the joint compound is on the scrap. If you can then it is your finishing technique (and product) that is causing you to see the joint compound on your closet walls and not a build up of joint compound. If this is the case then you can talk to the people at the home center about the best primer to use to even out the texture between the joint compound and the drywall.

P.S.
    If you ever put too much joint compound on again you can get it off easier than sanding by thinning out some more joint compound so that it is wet but still sticks to the existing tape. Slather it on and let it sit for awhile. The existing joint compound will draw the moisture out of the new, wet joint compound and soften it up so you can sc**** it off. Another option is to spray it with water to wet it down, again letting it soak in. (Be careful not to get the paper on the drywall all wet.) When it is sufficiently wet you can scrap it off.

Good luck.