+ Reply to Thread

Default How Can I Weather New Mortar To Look Old ?

I have a 212 year old house. I just re-pointed some stone porches and want some ideas as to how to make this fresh mortar look more weathered and aged.I think I've heard of coffee being used but I'm not sure.
    Ken

Default Re: How Can I Weather New Mortar To Look Old ?

You could try using some colored grout. Realizing that you've already repointed the joints, you could put a light coating of the new "colorized" grout over the top of the stuff you just put in. It wouldn't have to be deep and would be primarily cosmetic.

Just stop at HD and see what they have in the color grout area and you may find what you want. You could even get some coloring that they use in concrete staining and mix up your own color to match the existing.

Good Luck.

Default Re: How Can I Weather New Mortar To Look Old ?

Often times a sealer will do the trick. Like Thompsons or something like that. The only problem with those products is you're not supposed to use them for at least 6 months to a year, so if you can wait. Test it out of course in an inconspicuous area first, as always. Most sealers I've ever used can significantly darken cement/mortar from its fresh bright look.
    There are also concrete stains now available as well.

I don't know if I would try using colored grout if you've already had the point work done.