+ Reply to Thread

Question Subfloor prep for hardwood floor questions

Finally I started my project. I already removed my carpet and pad. There are 2 sets of tack stripes along the subfloor diameter. I tried to remove some strips by using a pry bar last night. The strip were crack and removed but the flooring nails which nailed the strips were still there. My question are
    1. Should I hammer nails down or pull out?
    It's very hard to pull it out if I don't want to demage the subfloor. And small holes will leave on subfloor. If I hammer it down, will it be a problem when I nail down my hw floor strips? I mean the new nail may hit the old nail.

2. I need to sand some high spots to flat. But I see screws and nails there. How to handle that when sanding.

Thanks

Default Re: Subfloor prep for hardwood floor questions

remove what nails you can from the old tack strip but one or two driven down isnt going to hurt anything, when you get close to the wall you wont be able to staple the hardwood down anyway, usually switch to a finish gun shooting on an angle and then face nail the last couple rows in conjunctin with gluing them down with construction adhesive

the big thing to keep an eye out for is any rotten areas of subfloor and loose spots, repair the bad spots and screw down any loose areas screwing into the joists, this will help to eliminate squeaks
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    remove what nails you can from the old tack strip but one or two driven down isnt going to hurt anything, when you get close to the wall you wont be able to staple the hardwood down anyway, usually switch to a finish gun shooting on an angle and then face nail the last couple rows in conjunctin with gluing them down with construction adhesive

the big thing to keep an eye out for is any rotten areas of subfloor and loose spots, repair the bad spots and screw down any loose areas screwing into the joists, this will help to eliminate squeaks
    There are 2 sets in parallel. So some nails are not very close to the wall. When I face nail the first or last row, old and new nails have possibility to hit together. Not sure if I need to over concern this too trivial thing.

its not really something to worry about, theres just as much chance to hit a nail holding the subfloor down in the middle of the floor, if its really a conern pull the nail or mark their location by running some painters tape on the last piece installed and make pencil marks on the tape where the nails are
    fire up the saw and make some dust