+ Reply to Thread

Default Mdf sub floor - 3/4" pre-finished planks

I currently have wall-to-wall carpeting installed over 5/8" MDF Board (top layer) that is over 1/2" OSB Board (bottom layer, on the floor joists).

I'm not 100% sure on the thickness of each, but I know for sure that there are two different sub-floor products under the carpet.

I want to be rid of the carpet.

Can I install 3/4" Pre-finished Oak Plank flooring (by Bruce) directly to the MDF Board/OSB Board with 2" flooring staples or do I have to remove the MDF Board and put down tounge-and-groove 23/32" flooring plywood.

A flooring contractor once told me that the MDF Board will not "hold" a staple or nail fastener, and the new oak plank flooring would not meet warranty installation requirements.

I read all the installation instructions by the flooring manufacturer and they address other sub-floor issues but don't mention MDF Board. I even e-mailed them and they sent me back the same "incomplete" instructions.

I don't mind the expense or labor in removing the MDF and putting down a new plywood sub-floor, but I would be annoyed if I did it and found out I really didn't have to.

HELP ! ! !

Default Re: Mdf sub floor - 3/4" pre-finished planks

MDF Board will not "hold" a staple or nail fastener.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Mdf sub floor - 3/4" pre-finished planks

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    MDF Board will not "hold" a staple or nail fastener.

Jack
    Ditto what Jack said.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!