+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bubbling Paint

Unhappy Bubbling Paint

I prepped the walls in my home by removing wallpaper, and wallpaper glue with a mixture of vinegar and water. I then wiped down the wall with clean water. I mudded holes and cracks with drywall mud and primed. I painted over the primer and the paint bubbled. This happened in more then one room and I used different mud and paint in the two rooms. The walls are plaster and the house was built in the 1950's. Does anyone have a clue of have to fix this and/or prevent it in the future? Thanks

Default Re: Bubbling Paint

Quote Originally Posted by ingacaudill View Post
    I prepped the walls in my home by removing wallpaper, and wallpaper glue with a mixture of vinegar and water. I then wiped down the wall with clean water. I mudded holes and cracks with drywall mud and primed. I painted over the primer and the paint bubbled. This happened in more then one room and I used different mud and paint in the two rooms. The walls are plaster and the house was built in the 1950's. Does anyone have a clue of have to fix this and/or prevent it in the future? Thanks
    did this only happen where you did patching repair work or everywhere? what kind of primer sealer did you use (laytex, oil, shellac? did you prime before your patching work or only after? did you use a bonding agent? what do you mean by drywall mud? joint compound? spackle? do you know if there was sizing on the walls under the wall paper glue or not?

Default Re: Bubbling Paint

I used latex Paint and primer, I primed after mudding. I used joint compound to mud. I did not use a bonding agent, I dont know what a bonding agent is. I also dont know what sizing is. Im not sure about if the bubbling occured just where I patched or not. I used two different joint compounds in the two rooms because I suspected that it might be the problem. The first one I used was suppose to be mold and mildew resistant and the second was just for general use.