+ Reply to Thread

Default fire place door insulation

looking to purchase or make an attractive insulating cover or blanket to cover fire place doors to stop leaks and drafts. I've been on the web and have not found anything.

help !!

Default Re: fire place door insulation

close the damper when not in use. some fireplace/inserts the doors are supposed to be tight like direct venting others are NOT supposed to be. consult a chimney sweep.

Assuming that this is something that would never be put in place when the fireplace has been recently used ...

If you're handy, you could easily build a basic frame and cover it with a quilt. I'd keep the quilt removable, even if you custom cut/fit it to the frame, so that it can be washed and stored more easily.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petrickt View Post
    looking to purchase or make an attractive insulating cover or blanket to cover fire place doors to stop leaks and drafts. I've been on the web and have not found anything.

help !!
    A better solution might be a chimney balloon, inflated in the chimney when not in use. These are available from Applied Energy Products in Canton Ohio, and JR Products. Be sure to remove them before starting a fire.