+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torn drywall

Red face Torn drywall

Hi. The drywall was torn while removing a vanity countertop in my bathroom (picture should be attached)...does anyone know how I can fix this? I have joint compound...if this would help. Thanks a lot - Melanie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1812.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	1872  

Default Re: Torn drywall

clean off the caulking, use a utility knife to cut and remove the loose edges of the Sand if necessary, prime and paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

clean off the caulk and any loose pieces of paper. skim coat let dry lightly sand and skim again let dry and sand. it is better to do it in thin coats then in one big heavy coat unless you like to sand. it may take two or three coats but you should be able to get it looking like brand new fairly easy.

only the face paper has been torn off but still has paper over the rock so regular bucket mud will work fine. If all the paper has been torn off and the rock exposed which would be white then you would need to use the bag mud which you have to mix up but it sets much harder.

I don't know what happened but half my post disappeared it should have read
    First clean off the caulking, use a utility knife to cut and remove the loose edges of paper, apply drywall mud as smooth as you can, let dry, sand or scrap smooth, add an additional layer of mud, sand or scrap smooth , add third layer if necessary, prime and paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb