+ Reply to Thread

Question Plumping - Copper and Corrision Issue

I recently noticed that I have some green corrision around the fitting joints on the cold water supply line to my kitchen sink. I also have a slight leak at one of the fittings and what appears to be some salt deposits. I do have a water softner. Any thougts as to why the corrosion and how to prevent?

Thanks.

Default Re: Plumping - Copper and Corrision Issue

Maybe from excess flux used when the fittings were soldered initially. The issue could be increased if your water is on the acidic side. How old is the pipe & fittings?

i don't store chemicals like bleach or oven cleaner under the sink for this reason, or let other metals touch the plumbing.

true not cleaning the flux residue can do this but you have bigger problem - already have a leak. are you handy with a torch?

Thanks for the reply. The plumping is a 20+ years old. What would cause the high acidic levels? I have a softner that was out of commision for a month. Would that have had an impact when it was not running?

If it is a softener only, then it will not effect the pH of the water, it would only effect the "hardness" of the water. Are you on city water or well water? City water is usually treated to a neutral pH. Well water can be tested to see what kind of treatment you may need.

It sounds like you need to replace some fittings & probably some valves after the 20 years of use. Take the opportunity to install a couple extra valves (1/4 turn ball valves) strategically placed in the plumbing runs to make future work easier. The angle stops under the sink are probably waiting to fall apart after all this time, be prepared to replace them. I don't know your level of experience, but if you are going to DIY, make sure to "clean" the pipe and fittings with steel wool/emory cloth til they shine before using the flux and soldering, then wipe away the excess flux.