+ Reply to Thread

Default Slick Wood Floors

I have a old oak floor in my 1840's house and am in the process of redoing the entire room. The room had wall to wall carpet on the floor and I ripped it up to find a beautiful oak floor. The problem is that the floor is really dirty and it seems that the last time that the floor was finished is was either not cleaned properly or put on over a floor that had alot of wax build up on it because it flakes off very easily. I took a small section of the floor and took some very course steel wool and rubbed the floor removing the flakey finish very easily. The problem now is that once I vacuum the floor it is very slick. I had similar probems in other rooms and am thinking it is some sort of wax build up because when I tried to put finish over the other floors it would not stick and flaked off. The other floors I screened off and cleaned very well and put a floor finish on it. What can I do other than sand the floors to make the floors not slick?

Default Re: Slick Wood Floors

Have you tried cleaning it with a wax stripper? I never use wax so I am not speaking from experience you might look at http://www.ehow.com/how_113139_strip...paign=yssp_art
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 12-02-2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb