+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Patio door structural framing rotted need advise

Hello,
    I replaced my 6 foot back patio door a few weeks ago and was looking back at the pictures and I realized that the vertical 2x4s that are notched to hold the header are severely rotted at the bottom. (See picture) Im concerned that the header is going to settle over time if I dont do something about it. Right now there is no sign the header has moved. The vertical framing that holds up the header is "sistered" by another 2x4 that is nailed to the header supporting 2x4, but I dont think the wood at the bottom of that 2x4 is much better... I did replace the rotted subfloor, but didnt really think about the 2x4s on the sides until now...

My question...because of the like 50 screws that hold the door in, the brick mold, and 3 tubes of caulk that I would have to undo to remove the door, I would rather fix from the interior if possible. I was thinking of installing a 3rd 2x4 and running a lag bolts through all 3 2x4s to keep the 2x4 that holds the header from dropping down. my trusses do sit on this header so I know theres alot of weight on it. Also Im in NE Ohio which is cold now so I really dont want to remove the door. Any other interior suggestions?

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated! I have this sick feeling about my house right now...
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right side 2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right_side.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	1866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left_Side_Pic.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left_side_Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1869  

Default Re: Patio door structural framing rotted need advise

You could also just replace the bottom section of the two 2X4's. Cut the rotted bottom off of one say 8', install a new 6"piece of 2x. toenail it in at the bottom and top. Then cut the other 2x at say 12" install a new piece of 2x to replace the rotted part. I like to apply glue between the two pieces and the nail them together as well as through the old stud. By having the 6" overlap it will provide a strong joint. I would install a temporary stud under the header while you are working.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank-you for the ideas! I was thinking though, it looks like the bottom plate that sits on the subfloor is rotted as well, it will be tough to replace that bottom plate while replacing 1 board at a time. I like the idea of leaving one board in place while fixing the other so i dont need a jack to hold up the header, but not sure how I can replace the subfloor, and the bottom plate while leaving the one board in place and not jacking the house...any ideas? Think I can put a board between the floor joists sistering the rim joist on the inside and just cut the bottom 6" of the header supporting 2x4 and have it rest on that so I dont have to replace the subfloor and the bottom plate?

Thanks,
    Joe

As long as the king stud and jack stud are on solid base it should work.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb