+ Reply to Thread

Default RockWool from 1930

I live in a home built in 1930. The only insulation in the attic is 2 inches of Rockwool; put in around the same time. Rather than remove it completely, I have been shifting it around to areas where the joists are only a few inches from each other (width of 2 to 4 inches). In the cleaned out areas, I have been installing fiberglass batts.

Here is my question --- does this stuff contain asbestos or is it very harmful to breath in? I have a mask on, but it is one of those $4 fiberglass masks from HD. Should I be taking more precautions?

Default Re: RockWool from 1930

Quote Originally Posted by SearsHome View Post
    I live in a home built in 1930. The only insulation in the attic is 2 inches of Rockwool; put in around the same time. Rather than remove it completely, I have been shifting it around to areas where the joists are only a few inches from each other (width of 2 to 4 inches). In the cleaned out areas, I have been installing fiberglass batts.

Here is my question --- does this stuff contain asbestos or is it very harmful to breath in? I have a mask on, but it is one of those $4 fiberglass masks from HD. Should I be taking more precautions?
    I've never heard of Rock Wool containing asbestos, only a slight possibility if you had vermiculite. The worst part about rock wool is that it is absolutely miserable stuff to come in contact with, unless you enjoy being a human pin cushion. If installing fiberglass batts, make sure there are no gaps or voids in your installation, and seal any bypasses before installing. Older homes are famous for having interior walls open to the attic. Although it may not appear in insulation that old, look for darker areas, since insulation acts as a filter for bypass air, or moldy, water damaged or rotted decking above suspected areas.

Default Re: RockWool from 1930

Thank you!!

I do have a few very large bypasses. They are both along exterior walls --- One is about 12 inches by 24 inches; the other is about 24 inches by 36 inches. There might be more, but I will not know until I remove some of the flooring (old planks). I still need to figure out how I am going to insulate the exterior walls with these large gaps...but that is another project.

Thanks for the insight...I feel much more calm believing I did not inhale anything toxic...but will still take some added precautions.