+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

I plan on surprising my husband with some project he has not been able to finish around the house! We have been working on our log home since 2000-we moved in in 2001. It's been fun learning how to do a ton of different projects. But, I still need to put the trim on all the windows, doors, lay the floor, put in a real kitchen and bathroom. With family illness, we got off schedule. I am working on one project at a time now, and looking forward to an exciting 2009!

My New Year's resolution is to rewire, insulate, drywall, install a window or two, and add a heat/AC unit to my garage/shop. Multiple neuromuscular and neurological disorders make me extremely sensitive to heat and cold, so I am only able to enjoy my woodworking hobby a few weeks out of the year when the temperature is mild. I miss the smell of sawdust and creating heirlooms and antiques for future generations.

PastorPaul (Emeritus)

My resolution is to fix all those small things around the house like
    1. Changing the last two outlets over to new ones.
    2. Patching the small hole in my daughter's bedroom ceiling where a hook use to hang.
    3. Re-caulking the sink in one bathroom.

And anything else I might find. I hope to have it all done within the first two months.

NOVA Pros

Smile Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

In 2009 I resolve to redo the exterior of my home. For the past 2 years I have been focusing on the interior of the home - putting in 2 new bathrooms, redoing the kitchen, painting, painting, painting!!

This next year I'm installing the rest of the new storm windows I purchased for the second floor windows; scraping and painting the exterior of the house; planting a "green" fence of English Privet in my back yard to hide the site of my neighbors' cars; and installing security lighting that will all be on motion sensors. I'm planning on digging up the old electric cable between the house and the garage and laying a new one, as well as getting rid of that dang ol' lamp post in the center of the back yard! And if I have any moolah left, I'm seriously considering installing a small hot tub for my weary body after doing all of this back-breaking work!

I've decided to forego a traveling vacation this year so I can have the time and money to create my own back yard paradise (much of which has been inspired by This Old House Mag!).

Arrow Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

And to add to the list, is to replace the weather stripping under the front door, that my dog just ripped off as he hurried off (and the leash got caught under the door, before I knew it).

NOVA Pros

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    In 2009, what do you resolve to do around your house? Will you finally fix that cracked ceiling plaster? Repaint the foyer? Install solar panels? Finish a forgotten project you once started?

If you tell us, your home improvement New Year's Resolution could be featured on ThisOldHouse.com, and who knows maybe Santa will see it...
    i live in a condo and plan on completely remodeling the downstairs bathroo. also to add wainscoating in the dining room and repaint it and the kitchen.

My resolution(s) this year is/are to restore electric to my garage (cutoff by a previous owner), finish painting the attic, start on remodeling the full bath (drab, dark 1980s paint scheme and dated lighting), relay the attic insulation, and revive the landscaping around our 120 year old home. Good luck to all with your resolutions! And thanks TOH for helping me through year one of home improvement.
    -Daryl, learning how to keep up with an 80 year old house in PA

Smile Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

This is the year I make some improvements to my kitchen. I bought this house almost 4 years ago. It was built in 1955 and the previous owner started remodeling the kitchen and never finished. I need a dishwasher, more cabinets, better lighting and new floor. I may not get it all done this year due to the cost but at least want to get started.

We have a lot of outdoors work to do. Financially, we probably won't get to it all but we will try. We moved into our home this last year and 2 weeks prior to moving I broke my arm. This summer we will do all the things we wanted to do when we first moved in.

The back yard is a mess and it needs to be landscaped. We would like to paint or re-coat the stucco. We also have 2 flat roof areas I would like to completely gut and redo.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    In 2009, what do you resolve to do around your house? Will you finally fix that cracked ceiling plaster? Repaint the foyer? Install solar panels? Finish a forgotten project you once started?

If you tell us, your home improvement New Year's Resolution could be featured on ThisOldHouse.com, and who knows maybe Santa will see it...
    We are going to finish the basement in a 55 year old house and update the main floor bathroom with a new tub, vanity and shower.