+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Talking Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    In 2009, what do you resolve to do around your house? Will you finally fix that cracked ceiling plaster? Repaint the foyer? Install solar panels? Finish a forgotten project you once started?

If you tell us, your home improvement New Year's Resolution could be featured on ThisOldHouse.com, and who knows maybe Santa will see it...
    I resolve to finally get my home projects done, room by room. We got sidetracked when a little one and his mom came to live with us. they have been a blessing to our home, but after a two year adjustment I would like to see my vision for our home completed. Each room is getting a new paint job, fresh coat of varnish on the woodwork, updated flooring if needed, repairs on pumbing taken care of and last but not least the retaining wall along the drive way finally installed. Thankfully there are 365 days to accomplish this in!

Default Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

my new years resolution is BEGINNING NO NEW elective PROJECTS, and dedicating all project time to working on one and only one project at a time and with a goal of getting at least ONE of the already-in-progress projects finished each month! with five ALMOST FINISHED projects-in-progress I figure we have a better than 50/50 odds at getting all five completed finished by year's end.

My New Years resolution is to buy "Made in The USA" tools and products. Canadian works too. Lots of good carbide made in the US keeping Americans working. Hopefully many will follow suit. Happy Holidays!

In 2009, what do you resolve to do around your house? Will you finally fix that cracked ceiling plaster? Repaint the foyer? Install solar panels? Finish a forgotten project you once started?

If you tell us, your home improvement New Year's Resolution could be featured on ThisOldHouse.com, and who knows maybe Santa will see it...
    Hi - I am a Vietnam Veteran's widow and living on a limited income in beautiful Vermont. This old house needs to have the one car garage redone inside, including some shelving for storage. It is old beaverboard that has large holes in the walls but not in the exterior clapboard frame. The door is the old push up and pull down kind, would love to install an automatic door with remote. I own 2 old cars and the second car sits in the driveway during the winters, because I cannot figure out how to get 2 cars in there or how to enlarge it enough to do so. The backyard pond needs some landscaping. The sunroom roof is that inexpensive plastic stuff and the side stoop's roof is angled so it dumps snow right where I enter the house!

I am one of the forgotten seniors and have to rely on family to help me - but they are busy and of an age too.

Santa, help me please?

hom2vt

Question Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

well,my home improvement resolution for 2009 will be, to continue to,hunt down the source of this annoying house dust.

***! My "nothing special split entry" house is in dire need of TLC in many areas. I may even need to exterminate stink bugs, if that's possible to do. First, on my list of things to resolve in 2009 is get rid of those nasty little buggers somehow. Then the big list begins: repair cracked foundation, get rid of mold on walls downstairs and seal the foundation, install french drain, roof repair, new vinyl siding (with insulation) and replace old wood Anderson windows that are actually coming apart from the glass, stain block and paint interior to get rid of "gray stripes" on ceilings and outer walls, repair bathroom floor before replacing flooring while remodeling, etc., etc. There is not enough room to finish my list on this forum, but I think you get the picture. This poor old house has been somewhat neglected these past 10 years because it'll take more than "me" to fix-er up! Merry Christmas...and God bless us, everyone!

My New Year's resolution is to finish the backyard landscaping project I started two years ago. I am extending the patio with flagstone cutting the lawn size down to eliminate four sprinkler zones and planting buffalo grass to conserve water.

Exclamation Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

Three years ago I tore out my kitchen, working out fustrations, then figured might as well do bathroom too. I have been living with base cabnets only, and stud walls. My resolution is to finish my kitchen and bathroom remodel. Wish me luck.

Red face Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

I am remodeling a 1920's farmhouse, not realizing that I have taken on more than I intended or can even handle without any honeydos or assistance. I will be refinishing the oaken, kitchen floor once I remove the old linoleum from it. The closet in the bedroom needs to be reframed & finished. Then, the biggie! The bathroom needs to be gutted and totally overhauled (drywalled, rewindowed, replumbed, rewired, etc.). When these are finished, I can paint and recarpet. Then, hopefully, it will be liveable. I have pictures of this disaster
    house if anyone is interested in a good laugh! 2009 will definately be a busy year for me!

this years resolutions are to replace floor and vanity/faucet in guest bath. (not replacing pink tub/shower). master bath, bump out wall about 10-14 inches, replace floor, move vanity. this floor is mult layers, so notsure how this will affect plumbing and toilet height.