+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

In 2009, what do you resolve to do around your house? Will you finally fix that cracked ceiling plaster? Repaint the foyer? Install solar panels? Finish a forgotten project you once started?

If you tell us, your home improvement New Year's Resolution could be featured on ThisOldHouse.com, and who knows maybe Santa will see it...

Default Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

My New Year's Resolutions are to replace my appliances with New Energy Efficient ones, installation in the walls in my older Balloon Construction Victorian Home, and put a new roof on the Garage.
    I would love to go Solar but the price is too high at the moment.

We are going to fill our exterior wall bays with foam insulation. This insulation is used when there is already existing insulation in the bays as the foam will form around it. We will be doing this from the outside of the house by pulling off shingles and drilling into the bays.

I am closing on my new 1830 raised cape this month. The repairs and updates needed are extensive. You name it, it needs it. After I tackle a few needed repairs, my resolution will be to create a comprehensive plan to restore the old place from the foundation up to the roof.

Smile Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

Our resolution is to change the sidewalk leading to our front door. Currently, it hugs the wall around the garage from the driveway to the porch steps. During the winter months it becomes dangerous because icicles form off the roof and drip on the walk. There is also an uneven approach leading to the porch and it is awkward to get up the stairs. This year we reshingled the roof but, the design of the house is perfect for the icicle situation. We want to swing the walk in an almost semi circle and create a fountain or very small pond with a bridge over the stream that falls downward into the front landscaping. In our head it looks beautiful! We also would like to explore the use of stamped concrete instead of pavers.
    Last edited by redeyemick; 12-02-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Smile Re: Home Improvement New Year's Resolutions

I have a nearly new modular home that I started enlarging the master bath 2 years ago when health issues completely side railed me. My spring/summer is to find a way, or a method of finishing the wheelchair accessible shower, new flooring, and wall plaster.

My New Year's Resolution is to paint my tired, outdated kitchen cabinets and replace all the hardware. Would love to replace the countertops while I'm at it but not sure it is in the budget at this time.

My resolution this year is to re-face all the kitchen cabinets, including doors and drawers. I should have done it long ago and this year's the year.

Take off the old roof and replace it with a green roof. We would like to put down a rubber layer with a gridded pattern of wood. Then we want to fill in the gridded pattern with dirt and plant sedum, hens and chicks, and local grasses. We can then watch the plants grow, insulate the roof and provide a great landing spot for Santa! Hey, the reindeer can even snack on the grass!

Where to start, do you want a punch list? My house has been under construction for 2 years since I moved in. Each project has been started and not finished. My house is stone and 144 years old. It needs repointing badly. I had hoped to do it this summer but, well you guessed it, summers gone. Maybe next summer.