+ Reply to Thread

Default Entryway Lockset dilemma

I'm attempting to replace a 70s era lockset on the original entrydoor on my 1924 American Foursquare. The lockset I want to remove doesn't seem to be a standard size and the holes that were drilled in the door to accommodate it are very large. The escutcheon on the new lockset I have to replace it doesn't cover up the huge holes completely. Since the outside of the door is painted, I could cover the holes with a dutchman and redrill for the new set, but inside the door still has it's original finish and looks to be a dark warm chestnut; so I don't think a dutchman would be a good choice here. I've been looking around to see if I can find a large brass plate I could use to cover the holes and then mount the lockset on top of that and haven't had any luck, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas. Note that I would rather not try and find a different lockset yet, as the new one I got was free so the project has a low pricetag at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any thoughts on insulating the holes too, since I think it's a source of a draft from the door.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Entryway Lockset dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by flipfriddle View Post
    I've been looking around to see if I can find a large brass plate I could use to cover the holes and then mount the lockset on top of that and haven't had any luck, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.
    One of your local home centers should have brass 3"x9" push hardware, if not a brass kick plate would work just as well - it just needs to be cut to size.

Yeah, I was thinking of the push plates, but with their beveled edges would their height make the door thicker to the point that the lock mechanicals wouldn't fit? I saw the kick plates but I wasn't sure on how to go about cutting those down.

Thanks.

The easiest will be to get a deadbolt reinforcer.

These come in single (as shown ) and dual configuration (handset/deadbolt ) and run $10 to $20. Another option may be to contact a local door hardware dealer and see if they've got an escutcheon plate or trim ring that will fill the larger hole, you would install the handset/deadbolt as normal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Vandykes is a good source for Push Plates and Back Plates
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb