+ Reply to Thread
    Mineola, NY

Question Tracing electrical wires

Can any one help? I have several outlets that are dead. They did work and now don't. I bought a LAN Tracker that helped me varify all the outlets were linked. I found one outlet box with 3 sets of wires the 3rd set I can not seem to find the box it ties to. I am asuming this the feed wire for all the outlets that are out and must be where the "brake in the line" is. I put the red tone clip on the black wire and the black tone clip on the ground and I get a good tone signal but can not find a tone at any another box or at the breaker panel. I then conected the red tone clip on the white wire and the black tone clip to the ground and got a very faint tone (so I could not trace the white) What would make the white so faint? Do you have any other sugestions on how to trace the wire to the brake? I have all BX wire in my house. thanks Bill

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Tracing electrical wires

Bill, it's possible you have an open in yhe common circuit. Did you check voltage between black and ground? It's also posible the cable goes to a light fixture box or a switch.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Richmond, VA

Default Re: Tracing electrical wires

I'm in the same boat. My 1953 house has various nonworking and nongrounded outlets. What I do is to attach a radio to one of them and then flip breakers until it is quiet. Then I pull the outlet plate off and unscrew the receptacle. I then take the wires off of the receptacle and separate them. I examine the wires and make guesses as to where the up and down stream neighbors are. I then use my volt meter to see if the possible neighbors are powered. If not, I know they are likely on the same circuit. I then have a 20 foot wire with alligator clips and do a continuity check between the black wires. Of course, I run a continuity check against the other also AND a voltage check against all of them. I once found a hot white without a label that was used for some stairs. The joys of rewiring.