+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sand finish drywall ceiling repair

Other than getting the delaminated tape off, there's no need to remove the texture. Simply apply the new tape, feathering the mud as you apply subsequent coats. This is where the damp sponge comes in handy, it will wipe out some of the mud build up around the edges to eliminate ridges.

The key is to not use too much mud while taping and top coating. You only need to use enough to adhere the tape, sufficiently coat it, and fill any void. Anything beyond that is just more sanding later. If you're careful enough, you may not need to sand at all, just using the damp sponge and careful knife strokes will suffice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I apologize if I misunderstood the last message. Does this mean that the seam I'm working on only needs to be slightly wider than the tape? My earlier impression was that each of the 3 or so layers of compound would have to get wider than the previous one and feather out.

It may interest you to know I called a drywall place about this job and was told they don't do patching. They would "resurface" the whole ceiling and then apply new texture. No patching. No sanding. My understanding is that the compound won't adhere well to the textured paint so I don't feel confident about what I was told. I can understand where the guy's coming from, though, but wouldn't expect his work to hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by coblas View Post
    I apologize if I misunderstood the last message. Does this mean that the seam I'm working on only needs to be slightly wider than the tape? My earlier impression was that each of the 3 or so layers of compound would have to get wider than the previous one and feather out.
    The reason that each layer gets feathered out a little further from the last is that it helps to hide the "bump" made by the layers of mud. If you just stacked one on top the other without feathering, you'd have noticeable ridges everywhere. So yes, you will need to apply the mud wider than the tape and feather each layer out.

My understanding is that the compound won't adhere well to the textured paint so I don't feel confident about what I was told. I can understand where the guy's coming from, though, but wouldn't expect his work to hold up well.
    The only things that I'm aware of that will affect adhesion is a dirty or greasy surface, paint shouldn't be a factor and any texture would just give more purchase for the mud to lock into. I've done a lot of patch work over all kinds of textures and paints and have never had a failure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't quite understand if I just remove the loose tape, where do I feather out the compound to? Doesn't the bare area on the sides of the tape have to be wider than the tape to leave room for several layers of compound, the first being the width of the tape and the next being feathered beyond the preceding one?

Also, if I want to patch some dimples (from nails) which are covered with the texture, what is the best way to do that?

Sorry about all the questions. I just want to have my ducks in a row before I tackle this.

Coblas,

When drywall tape pulls off cleanly, you are left with a recessed "trench". The new drywall mud and tape fills up the recess until it reaches the old layer. In this case, you do not need to feather out the patch progressively wider.

When you make a surface patch of a crack you, of neccessity, raise the general layer of the wall. You hide the fact by feathering the patch out wider. I like to use the extra thin self-adhesive fiberglass patching tape for this purpose. With fiberglass tape, you can apply the tape without using the mud as the adhesive for the tape. The mud can be forced through the fiberglass web tape to fill the underlying crack. A couple light coats of mud then hide the thickness of the tape.

Believe it or not, I'm still trying to find sand. I'll check out a paint store next week. They told me they have fine, medium, and coarse, but no examples to look at. A couple of drywall contractors are not interested in the job. Say the word and you're hired! (Just kidding, sort of.)

Believe it or not, I'm still trying to find sand. I'll check out a paint store next week. They told me they have fine, medium, and coarse, but no examples to look at. A couple of drywall contractors are not interested in the job. Say the word and you're hired! (Just kidding, sort of.)
    You should be able to chisel off a small sample of the sand texture to take to the store and match up with the grits available.

I don't know how I can match up a sample since the store doesn't have a sample board or chart I can look at.

Can you see the sand in the packages? That should give you a pretty good idea.

I haven't been to the paint store yet, but since they carry USG products, I checked the USG website. As far as I can tell from that, the sand isn't visible in the package. USG did provide the opportunity to order samples and a catalog, which I did. Some of the samples are out of stock so I might not get them for a while. (One estimate was August!) Meanwhile, I'll try to get to the store anyway. It's a bit of a trek.