+ Reply to Thread

Default Patio door too tall

I have a standard patio door going out to my deck. It measures the standard 80" tall. I need to replace it with a smaller door. I need to raise it about 6 inches on the bottom & I have no room at the top to make the opening larger. Do I have to order a custom door? Is there another standard size I might be able to find sold somewhere?

Thanks.

Default Re: Patio door too tall

Sounds like a custom door to me. Question, why do you need to raise the threshold by 6"? It sounds like that's going to create a curb between the interior and the exterior, which would be a no-no because of the trip hazard. What is the problem and what are you trying to accomplish?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The door should not go up the top of the opening needs to be framed down. Depending on the wall covering e.g. brick, vinyl or wood)if it's brick you will need to have a custom door made. Wood siding or vinyl can be removed and replaced after door framing is complete. The existing header can remain in place, all you have to do is frame the door down from the header with some 2x4 or 2x6 add a piece of plywood sheeting. Install your door and re-do the interior casing. The top piece of casing will be to small so some sheet-rock patch work will be necessary. Paint the entire wall so the sheetrock work blends in.

http://www.wilddecks.com

My door is already just under the header so I cannot raise it at all. I do need to have a "no-no" step because my deck (that the door opens up to) needs to be raised. There is no slope for the water to run off so I need to build up that edge of my deck. Rather than have the deck raised into the door area, I figured a new door would look less like a hack job.

Here is a pic:
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_f_WqWs19zUk/Sj...0/P1010992.JPG

Since you can get a 2x4 under the threshold, you can cut furring strips from 1-1/4" to zero from the door to the outside edge. From the looks of it that would give you slightly more than 1/8" per foot fall, while not excessive, it will be more than enough to make water flow away from the door.

Since you are already prepared to rebuild the deck area, strip it to bare framing and add the furring strips there, then resheet and reapply the roof covering. By doing it this way you can maximize the amount of fall without changing the door opening. If you're careful with the demolition, you could possibly salvage the existing roof sheeting for reuse.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you don't want to cut tapered furring strips, sister 2 X 6's to the existing joists with the outside end even with the joists top and the inside end raised 1".
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hmmm --- me thinks this going about it the wrong way .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Well my plan was to install some LockDry waterproof decking. I want to make sure I get the proper slope on the deck. I want to do this right so I wanted to avoid having the door drip edge be below the decking. I thought it would make sense to elevate the bottom of the door to give me enough slope on the deck. I am not against pulling up the current rubber roof (since it leaks like crazy now anyway). So maybe pulling up the current plywood & rubber will give me enough height for furring & LockDry. I guess I just have to dive in and rip it up.

The furring strips are probably a better option since my joists run the same direction I want to run my decking.
    Last edited by sclowry; 05-09-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: forgot to include that last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by sclowry View Post
    The furring strips are probably a better option since my joists run the same direction I want to run my decking.
    This is definitely where I would start. As it is now, there is little to no slope, so pulling the existing roof and inserting the angled furring, whether by my method or Jack's, is going to be a step in the right direction You may have to extend the posts for the roof a little bit, but that's easy enough to do once the new slop is dealt with.