+ Reply to Thread

Default Dryer Vent under Deck

We recently moved into a 15 year old house which has a zero clearance wood deck on the back. I noticed that the dryer vent exhaust comes out of the house just under where the deck meets the brick on the side of the house. The deck boards were notched out slightly when it was built to make room around the vent. I was wondering if there is a problem or potential problem awaiting me with this setup. I found a Q & A from Tom Silva that says it's not really a problem, an outdoor deck is going to get wet anyway. As long as it's treated lumber, no problem. However, on a recent ATOH, Richard helps a customer fix a dryer vent and states that you don't want to vent out under a deck. So I'm confused whether it's okay or not.

The other issue is, I don't have much of anywhere else to go with it unless I want to drill another hole in the brick exterior. The house is on a crawlspace and the last time I was down there, I found the last owner had let the flexible duct line fall off and it was venting into the crawlspace. I fixed this with a new, flexible aluminum duct to at least get the exhaust outside, but now...curious about the deck issue.

Default Re: Dryer Vent under Deck

I'm not sure if there will be a future problem or not with the way your dryer's venting under the deck. We moved into our house 12 years ago and haven't had a problem since, the people before us also had the dryer venting the same way. I'm not saying it's wrong or right but don't see how it could cause damage. Hopefully if one of the other guy's on the Forum has more info on the subject they'll post.

Default Re: Dryer Vent under Deck

Is it preferred to have it under the deck, no, however as long as there is air flow under there, then there won't be any problems. My dryer vent is also under a deck that is about 2 feet off the ground. There is no rot or problems associated with this set up. I have also had to install a dryer vent under a deck a few times for lack of any other option, again, with air space they have been no problem.

If your deck sits directly on the ground, then I would not recommend venting under it as this will only increase the moisture and potential for rot. Also, a significant amount of lint will be exhausted with the wet air, which will coat any surface that it's blow or deflected onto. When this happens, then the wood will always be wet and more prone to rot - regardless of whether it is pressure treated or not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!