+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oak Floor Bulge

Default Oak Floor Bulge

I just converted a screened outdoors back den into an enclosed family-room. Over the past couple weeks the oak floors have been bulging on the side adjacent to the house, particularly one corner is bulging a lot. It has become flagrant and I keep on tripping on the bulge! The installer said to let it go thru the month of May with AC running and it will go away! Is that normal? Anyone with a similar case?
    Appreciate any info, thanks so much.

Default Re: Oak Floor Bulge

No, this is NOT normal. The bulge is likely either a moisture problem or not enough room was left for natural expansion and contraction of the material.

If I had to hazard a guess, the installer did not acclimate the material to the space before the install, and then installed it tight to the walls. Proper installation would have been to have the material on site and stacked in a manner for the ambient air to get around the packaging for several days to a week (acclimation ). Then, a 1/4" to 3/8" gap is left around the entire perimeter which is covered by baseboard or molding of some sort. The gap is for natural expansion and contraction due to humidity and temperature changes.

If this bulge in only in one spot, then there could be a moisture problem either on top of or underneath the floor that is causing it to swell.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks so much I knew that was strange! The installer said he MIGHT replace some few planks here and there, so I told him to FIX the problem, otherwise I was getting a hardwood floor inspector!

but Other question: I made a set of 3 matching roman shades in a bamboo like synthetic material for one of the window seats in the room. So I decided to reuse some twisted cord that we had left over from another project - It matched perfectly the shades, ****en and green and the seat cushions- The problem is the cord is very thick (at least 3/8 ") and I couldn't find a cord lock big enough for it. So when we open the shades there is no system to lock the cord and we must make some elaborate knot to keep it open. It's not practical, not to mention the motion gets tangled into the chord! Is there a website where I could find the right cord lock for that cord thickness? Thanks so much for your help.

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

All right! Thanks so much.