+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hanging Shelves - Seems Simple But NOT

Okay - so hanging anything on my walls is always an exercise in futility and a major undertaking for me. A miracle is when I can hang anything so that it's strait, doesn't fall off the wall, etc. etc. I say all this so everyone knows what a non-handywoman I am.

I want to hang this shelf - the kind that looks like molding with recessed holes in the back. I just don't get what I'm supposed to use so that it lies flush against the wall. I've drilled 2 holes, and used 2 screws that are drilled almost all the way into the wall (and therein seems to lie the problem). The shelf hangs, but it is just ever-so-slightly hangs away from the wall and not flush, for obvious reasons. What, pray tell, am I supposed to use for this kind of shelf?

I got it at a thrift store so there were no instructions with it. I don't think it's a coincidence that the hole looks like a little screaming face, lol.

p.s. I hope folks that answer don't get into a "I know more than you do" match, as that is what happened the last time I tried to get help here, and frankly, it's been a while since I've posted because of that bad experience. I just want some help - that's all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010023.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	1860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010022.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	1861  

Default Re: Hanging Shelves - Seems Simple But NOT

I would say that the most you could hope to do is set the screw into the wall as deep as possible and still have the shelf mount catch the screw head. If you must have it absolutely tight, then you'll likely need to mortise the shelf bracket into the shelf so it and it's screws are not standing above the surface of the shelf where it meets the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

the trick is to use a round topped screw that has a flat bottom and then get the adjustment length to the wall just right. every once in a while you might also need to chisel out and set the mounting plate deeper in the shelf or shim it out depending on how it is made and the flatness of your walls.

you'd want to use a button head cap screw or a round head cap screw (even a dome head screw but not necessary), not a flathead or countersunk type screw, as in not like a drywall screw and not oval head screw- and threaded all the way or nearly all the way up the shaft to the underside of the screw head so you can drill that screw in as much as you have to to the wall. if the capturing mounting plates on the shelf are inset a lot you might want to remove them and shim them back out or take some bigger washers on the screw before you screw it into the wall to act as spacers on the shaft of the screw after you've captured the screw head in the "open mouth" of that bracket and push it down.

sometimes a cork or felt self adhesive disk or two (like you use to protect wood floors from chair legs) attached to the bottom wall side edge of the floating shelf is enough and needed to hold tension and shim the bottom edge of the shelf out away from the wall so it doesn't lean if the shelf top is heavy or the wall side of the shelf isn't exactly square/plumb or slightly beveled, after you find the exact location that works you can then use a finishing brad to more permanently attach the self adhesive cork or felt disk.

good luck with your mounting project.

something like a, or b below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...types.svg#file

p.s. I don't see the shaft elongated rounded top notch I usually see with those screw mount type brackets you might need special hooked mounting brackets that you mount to the wall with two screws each for that kind of "mouth" bracket - like you see on heavy mirror or picture mounting hardware kits.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-30-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added link with screw head type images and a post script

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    the trick is to use a round topped screw that has a flat bottom and then get the adjustment length to the wall just right. every once in a while you might also need to chisel out and set the mounting plate deeper in the shelf or shim it out depending on how it is made and the flatness of your walls.

you'd want to use a button head cap screw or a round head cap screw (even a dome head screw but not necessary), not a flathead or countersunk type screw, as in not like a drywall screw and not oval head screw- and threaded all the way or nearly all the way up the shaft to the underside of the screw head so you can drill that screw in as much as you have to to the wall. if the capturing mounting plates on the shelf are inset a lot you might want to remove them and shim them back out or take some bigger washers on the screw before you screw it into the wall to act as spacers on the shaft of the screw after you've captured the screw head in the "open mouth" of that bracket and push it down.

sometimes a cork or felt self adhesive disk or two (like you use to protect wood floors from chair legs) attached to the bottom wall side edge of the floating shelf is enough and needed to hold tension and shim the bottom edge of the shelf out away from the wall so it doesn't lean if the shelf top is heavy or the wall side of the shelf isn't exactly square/plumb or slightly beveled, after you find the exact location that works you can then use a finishing brad to more permanently attach the self adhesive cork or felt disk.

good luck with your mounting project.

something like a, or b below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...types.svg#file

p.s. I don't see the shaft elongated rounded top notch I usually see with those screw mount type brackets you might need special hooked mounting brackets that you mount to the wall with two screws each for that kind of "mouth" bracket - like you see on heavy mirror or picture mounting hardware kits.

you slam me for using wiki and then you use it???

Can you post a picture of the backside of the shelf?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have to agree with Blue. The haning bracket is proud of the back so the bracket is what will be flush with the wall. You need to add a bumper or felt pad on the bottom edge of the shelf that is tha same thickness as the hanger, or mortise the bracke into the back of the shelf to make it flush. Personally I prefer the washer head screws for this.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-30-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

jkirk .... the picture that Jack posted look like Robertsons ... what say you ?
    - Rush

Reminds me of the time I had to build some wooden shipping crates.
    This company was shipping some special equipement to a project in Egypt ... Mansurya if I recall.

Anyway .... all I had available were Robertson screws .... meanwhile thinking ......driving the many screws into those crates .....hoping the guys over in Egypt had their red handled Robertson scewdrivers.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    take off eh!!
    Hey, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

mtngigi - Don't take a little off topic humor to mean that your question isn't important. You've gotten some good advice so far, please take the time to read it and let us know how your project goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Hey, if the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

mtngigi - Don't take a little off topic humor to mean that your question isn't important. You've gotten some good advice so far, please take the time to read it and let us know how your project goes.
    Ditto .... we're just filling in time .... please do get back.
    - Rush