+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet Rough-In Confusion?

I recently roughed in a toilet at 12" from the finished wall. I had assumed that this would leave some room behind it. The toilet was tight to the wall. Does this mean that a 12" rough-in does not include 1-2" of space typically found behind a toilet? The only other possiblity that I can think of is that the toilet I recieved was a 14" rough-in. I have a second bathroom roughed-in but I have not purchased the toilet yet. I need to know if I should order a 10" if I want a little space behind it.

Default Re: Toilet Rough-In Confusion?

At 12" rough you wont have a space between wall and tank. If you had a gap on another toilet it was probably roughed in around 14" for structual reasons

Default Re: Toilet Rough-In Confusion?

I find it's a regional thing when it comes to having a space between the tank and wall --- some areas do not ---- some do.
    Problem is when they are tight to the wall and if the floor is not level ( slopes back toward the wall ) the tank will hit the wall if the toilet isn't shimmed level.
    Then it becomes a pain to try and get the tank lid on and off.

The only other possiblity that I can think of is that the toilet I recieved was a 14" rough-in. I have a second bathroom roughed-in but I have not purchased the toilet yet. I need to know if I should order a 10" if I want a little space behind it.
    Doubtful the toilet was for a 14" roughin --- it wouldn't fit , period.

I don't know if you would want to put in a 10" roughin toilet --- it may look out of place.

Normally I would set the flange for a 12 1/2" to allow that little extra space.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush