Re: How to extinguish a fireplace fire
I would not recommend trying to extinguish the fire because without copious amounts of water, you'll still have hot embers that will smolder and emit carbon monoxide and smoke. Don't mistake lack of flame as sign of no burning fuel. If you were to close the flue with hot embers, then all that carbon monoxide and smoke comes into the house where it is a detriment to your health and life.
With either a well fitting screen or glass doors, sparks will not be an issue while unattended. In the case of the glass doors, you can shut the doors and the vent on the doors and have a relatively good seal to prevent the fireplace pulling heat/air from the room, assuming that it's got an outside air source in the back of the firebox. You are best to either leave the flue open for a few days (glass doors shut, of course ) to allow the embers to fully burn out and cool or the morning after a fire, remove all the ash and embers from the fireplace into a metal container and take them outside, placing the whole thing on a non-combustible surface, before closing the flue. NEVER REMOVE HOT COALS or fuel that is still burning from the fireplace, and never place fresh ashes/embers into the garbage can. Always let the ash cool for several days - up to a week - before disposing into a refuse container.
I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!